How do you decrease GPU usage??

dominicwild

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
Hello, I recently put in a new processor and every game has been frame skipping. Its only until recently that my GPU is now easily used up making every game pretty much unplayable I use msi after burner to get how much of my gpu is being used. So How would I go about fixing my gpu now? This happened when I reformatted is there a driver I need or something? All help is a appreciated. Thank you.

CPU: "AMD Phenom II X2 560 Black Edition" (Used to be)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50 Hydro Series CPU Cooler
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Motherboard: Asus M4N68T
Memory: 8.0GB Corsair DDR3 1600mhz DHX CL9 (4x2GB)

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1GB
Sound card: Asus Xonar DS 7.1
Monitor:LG 22' E2240S-PN LED
Case: Xigmatek Asgard
PSU: 700W OCZ

V-sync may be the easiest thing you can do for most game. It'll cap FPS at your refresh rate, which is usually 60. If you are getting excess FPS, they won't be rendered, effectively reducing GPU usage. If you are already under 60 FPS, it won't help.

dominicwild

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011

CPU im useing is a AMD Phenom II6 1100T
I am using the latest drivers
Changing the resolution or effect really doesn't change anything it does skips frames like no tomorrow they skip the same amount of frames on each resolution and quality setting.

It doesn't appear to effect 2D games.

Dec 2, 2011

What games are you playing, what resolutions are they at, what effects and settings are you using in the game(s)

If you have all options turned up high (like AA) at a 1920x1080 resolution, things are probably going to chug...

Also turning Vsync on or off can affect things differently. On my PC Dragon age likes it, while Dead Space does not. Also nothing makes Civ5 happy because it hates my AMD card... Games can be kinda funny on PC.

dominicwild

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011

Games like: dungeon defenders, Crysis, Sanctum, Tribes Ascend, Section 8, TF2

This games are useally on high seeing as with my old processor (the duel core one) they ran perfectly. Now they don't and I mean all of them don't its strange.

I tried setting all the graphics to low and messing around with V-sync and what not especially on sanctum since it had alot of customizable options. But no game seems to run perfectly, well any pc game and it annoys me because I know I can run it I just don't know what the problem is :/

Resolution is usually always 1920x1080 change it made like 4 frames difference that was it

Dec 2, 2011

I would try using a 1680x1050 (or smaller), no AA, no Vsync, and medium settings for other options.

Are you over clocking at all? Are you sure you are using the 285.62 Driver? Did you change anything else in your system? Do have any programs running in the background that may be causing this?

dominicwild

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011

Not over clocking. Yes I just checked in my nvidia control panel. The thing that caused this was when the processor changed and also updated my bio's. No programs in the background seem to be causing it. Something that seems odd though is that right now with no game or anything opening at all my GPU is bouncing from like 1 or 35% in usage according to msi burner that doesn't seem normal to me but im now wiz at this

I'll try you option recommendations but I don't think it will change much if anything.

Dec 2, 2011

Please do and let me know, also which bios version did you update from and to?

dominicwild

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011

My bio was 0902 I updated to 1102

It made a big difference I got 52 fps that was my max fps average was around 48 fps. My computer handled the higher resolutions before why can't it now all thats changed is the processor :/

dominicwild

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011

Strange it ran crysis, boarderlands, far cry 2, at those settings before. So how would I go about fixing this problem :/ just continuously decrease the resolution? Or could there be something els that is causing it? Or contributing to it should I say

Dec 2, 2011

looking at these charts your performance is about what I'd expect... I've compared what you're rocking to what I am (Sapphire Vapor-X 5770) and I think you're right in range. =on&prod[4822]=on]http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/2011-gaming-graphics-charts/compare,2664.html?prod[4831]=on&prod[4822]=on