How do you decrease temps on overclock?

jase888

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2012
I have overcloked my i7 2700k to 4.5GHz with the Coolermaster 212 Evo and it reaches up to 95 temp when doing the stress test in Prime95. The voltage is set to 1.35

Do i need to lower the cpu to 4.2 or something or is it something else?

Thanks

Solution
Remove any dust on the fans in all the computer, especially on the CPU. If its clean and still, high temp. Reapply thermal paste. Worst case, you need a better cooling fan on the cpu.

I run my pc on standard clocks for some years. Then I got high temp and pc shuts down. I then re applied thermal paste on the cpu and everything was in the green.

But if your computer run everthing perfect on 4.2. Just clock it down. But re apply paste just to be sure..

Lakken

Notable
May 4, 2017
Remove any dust on the fans in all the computer, especially on the CPU. If its clean and still, high temp. Reapply thermal paste. Worst case, you need a better cooling fan on the cpu.

I run my pc on standard clocks for some years. Then I got high temp and pc shuts down. I then re applied thermal paste on the cpu and everything was in the green.

Lakken

Notable
May 4, 2017

But if your computer run everthing perfect on 4.2. Just clock it down. But re apply paste just to be sure..

Solution

Jack_242

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017

AIrflow Airflow Airflow (poorly placed fans) , new thermal paste, cable management, and storage blocking intake fans.

Wow thats hot! 95c is past the point of silicon degradation.

Can you give us your full set up... down to the very last fan screw.