[SOLVED] How do you disable powertune? it downclocks my Core

MysteryRidahz

Reputable
Jan 22, 2017
I'm using a firepro w7000, when my card heats up to 96-101c, which i read was completely normal for this gpu lol. It downclocks my core to 450 and it stays there, decreasing performance. how do i fix this. i rather just keep the card hitting 90+100 instead of clocking down to 450mhz.

also, i tried using msi afterburning, you can set the power limit to 20+ that doesn't do anything really, and disabling something and using without the powerplay option only keeps your gpu memory and core at its max all the time even at idle, which is a stupid thing to do.

Solution
I thought this was a closed post? You delete and close and "old" thread just to repost the problem? Please don't do that.

my card heats up to 96-101c, which i read was completely normal for this gpu

No, it's not normal. Or at least it shouldn't happen.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/firepro-w7000.c587

According to this you are talking about a single slot card from 2012 with a TDP of only 150W. No way it should run 100C. You've also set the power limit to 20+ with an over heating issue? Reset the card to stock. Remove any and all OCs and make sure the power limit is 0. Shut the PC down and clean the heatsink. You might need to remove screws and pull shrouds off. Just make sure the fan and sink are clean...

4745454b

Titan
I thought this was a closed post? You delete and close and "old" thread just to repost the problem? Please don't do that.

my card heats up to 96-101c, which i read was completely normal for this gpu

According to this you are talking about a single slot card from 2012 with a TDP of only 150W. No way it should run 100C. You've also set the power limit to 20+ with an over heating issue? Reset the card to stock. Remove any and all OCs and make sure the power limit is 0. Shut the PC down and clean the heatsink. You might need to remove screws and pull shrouds off. Just make sure the fan and sink are clean before you plug it back in. Once it's back in, power it up. Check the fan to make sure it's spinning. I'm not sure what the RPMs should be. Is it better?

Solution

MysteryRidahz

Reputable
Jan 22, 2017

According to this you are talking about a single slot card from 2012 with a TDP of only 150W. No way it should run 100C. You've also set the power limit to 20+ with an over heating issue? Reset the card to stock. Remove any and all OCs and make sure the power limit is 0. Shut the PC down and clean the heatsink. You might need to remove screws and pull shrouds off. Just make sure the fan and sink are clean before you plug it back in. Once it's back in, power it up. Check the fan to make sure it's spinning. I'm not sure what the RPMs should be. Is it better?

It was set to 0 and i don't OC. When i got the card, it always hit high temps, only when gaming with certain games. seems like the high temp thing is with the w7000 and 7100 everyone blog, view, report i seen , it always goes high. Its just these cards.

My isssue is when the core clocks down, it stays there. I got a new card coming next week, so I'm not stressing about it. just going to continue to use this one until it shows up.

4745454b

Titan
It's a single slot card so it's going to be hotter than those with better coolers. It's still only a 150W card so it shouldn't get crazy hot. If you want it running cooler you need to go -10 on power tune, not 20+. It might cause it to be unstable so you need to test. A good cleaning will/should help.

Reactions: MysteryRidahz

MysteryRidahz

Reputable
Jan 22, 2017
It's a single slot card so it's going to be hotter than those with better coolers. It's still only a 150W card so it shouldn't get crazy hot. If you want it running cooler you need to go -10 on power tune, not 20+. It might cause it to be unstable so you need to test. A good cleaning will/should help.

I clean it really good, it stays around 89c, 95 now. and doesn't go over and the speed doesn't drop. So repasting it and cleaning it, seems to help a bit Games run perfectly now without any of that core dropping nonsense. I'm not using MSI afterburning anymore, staying away from that program, seems to make things worse and i don't OC ever, just seems to mess with your gpu without you even doing anything. I only use it to look at my temps, but i use CAM NZTX for that now.

My new card RX 570 8GB OC should be here next tuesday. Next workstation gpu i buy though will be the WX 7100 or W5500, that's for my secondary gaming rig. Out of all the workstation gpus i have, and own , the w7000 and w7100 seems to the only two that' have bad coolers, which put alot of heat. I just bought a wx 4100 about 2 months ago, that thing stays at 29c at idle and highest under full load is 66c-72c.

MysteryRidahz

Reputable
Jan 22, 2017
Why are you buying workstation GPUs for gaming rigs? I'm sorry if I'm coming off as rude, but a lot of what you are doing/saying doesn't make sense.

Using a graphic card doesn't make sense? You do realized there's plenty of people who use workstation cards for gaming, for only gaming as well right? Not only that, workstation cards are designed for editing, web design, and they game perfectly fine, package all in one, what's the problem?

All because you don't use or are not familiar with using them for gaming, doesn't mean we can't use them for gaming if we choose too. No different than with Workstation CPU's, and Xeons are very popular for gaming. So how does it not make any sense? In the past i bought a workstation GPU for testing and ever since they have work out extremely well, i can do all my editing with ease, internet stuff in general, and game perfectly fine, really never had any issues with them. I also really don't see any difference between workstation and normal GPU's, expect for the higher prices and some openGL issues which are clearly visible in certain workstaton cards, and are much cooler than normal ones, besides that, i don't see too much of an issue.

My advice, try it and you will see.

4745454b

Titan
I can see buying a workstation card because you are doing work that needs it. I can see gaming on it in your "down time". But to purposely go out and only buy workstation cards? What's wrong with a straight gaming card? Drivers would be a lot easier to work with. I know that.

It's a bit like using a screwdriver handle to put a nail in. Sure it will work, but there are better tools for the job.