[SOLVED] How do you download more RAM and CPU?

Oct 10, 2021
My computer is so slow, and I asked microsoft support and they asked for my ram, and they told me where to find it, and it said 4GB. And the lady said that it was the bare minimum for windows. Any website to download RAM?

Solution
Adding RAM isn't going to be particularly helpful, because your CPU is certainly not strong enough to translate the addition of more RAM into something meaningful in terms of any kind of performance increase.

Upgrading the CPU on that old of a platform, not to mention the fact that it's an all in one type system, is usually a NO-GO as the baseboards in them are generally not broadly capable of that sort of upgrade. Many of them are in fact not even given the ability to be upgraded due to very limited BIOSes, and many have soldered in place CPUs anyhow. Those systems are not intended to ever really be upgraded. They are for people who simply want to be able to run light office or productivity applications or browse the web. They aren't...

USAFRet

Titan
My computer is so slow, and I asked microsoft support and they asked for my ram, and they told me where to find it, and it said 4GB. And the lady said that it was the bare minimum for windows. Any website to download RAM?
Just to put an end to this...
You cannot "download RAM".

It is a physical object.
You pay money to a retailer, they send you the physical RAM sticks.
If you've done a teeny bit of homework, these will be compatible with your system.

You cannot 'download RAM'.
This is like downloading a pair of Air Jordans. Doesn't work like that.

Any questions?

Reactions: mrmike16
Oct 10, 2021
Dare I ask...what are the specs of your system?
All the parts involved.
CPU

Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3250T @ 2.80GHz

Base speed: 2.80 GHz
Sockets: 1
Cores: 2
Logical processors: 2
Virtualization: Enabled
L1 cache: 128 KB
L2 cache: 512 KB
L3 cache: 3.0 MB

Utilization 36%
Speed 2.79 GHz
Up time 1:01:00:15
Processes 186
Threads 2049
Handles 83230
Memory

4.0 GB DDR3

Speed: 1333 MHz
Slots used: 1 of 4
Form factor: SODIMM
Hardware reserved: 82.7 MB

Available 411 MB
Cached 347 MB
Committed 5.4/7.3 GB
Paged pool 322 MB
Non-paged pool 356 MB
In use (Compressed) 3.5 GB (60.4 MB)

Disk 0 (K: G: C:)

ST1000DM003-1CH162

Capacity: 932 GB
Formatted: 931 GB
System disk: Yes
Page file: Yes
Type: HDD

Read speed 32.4 KB/s
Write speed 191 KB/s
Active time 3%
Average response time 6.7 ms

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
well glad you figured it out. just never actually seen this question and could not resist the link :)

with the pc model or motherboard model we can point you to some ram that will work for you. you can post the full pc model if you have a pre-built or you can post your motherboard model and we can look up what it can hold and point you in the right direction.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that's what i was thinking. with such an old pentium, i doubt you will be able to change it to anything worth spending the money on.

i'd look into a new system that is a bit newer if you need a faster cpu. nothing you can drop into that system will make much of a difference.

Check your OS first, if you are running an 32bit version you are actually only using 3 out of the 4gb and you can't use more.
If task manager shows you 4Gb it should be ok to use more.
If you got the 4Gb number from something that just looks at hardware you will have to double check.

Edit: nevermind just saw your task manager output.

Adding RAM isn't going to be particularly helpful, because your CPU is certainly not strong enough to translate the addition of more RAM into something meaningful in terms of any kind of performance increase.

Upgrading the CPU on that old of a platform, not to mention the fact that it's an all in one type system, is usually a NO-GO as the baseboards in them are generally not broadly capable of that sort of upgrade. Many of them are in fact not even given the ability to be upgraded due to very limited BIOSes, and many have soldered in place CPUs anyhow. Those systems are not intended to ever really be upgraded. They are for people who simply want to be able to run light office or productivity applications or browse the web. They aren't meant for gaming or running heavy applications.

If that system is not capable of doing what you need it to do, then it's time to look at a newer prebuilt device of some kind or a custom desktop system.

Solution