How do you find form factor?

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you can find the form factor just by looking at the board in the direction of the keyboard connector and where the cards face, i.e. the back of the case. if you see a standard AT keyboard connector and all serial and parallel ports on brackets thats a AT or Baby-AT board. If all these serial and parallel ports are mounted on the board and are horizontal to the board in a specific fashion its a ATX board. The difference between a ATX and micro-ATX board is that the microATX board is smaller and has fewer PCI slots. There can also be some modified AT or ATX form factors where the connectors are relocated somewhere else or some additional non-standard ones mounted. Such boards need a special IO sheild which is usually provided with the board itself.

girish

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
all AT boards these days carry both AT (those P8 and P9 pair of single line connectors) and ATX (20 pin dual line) connector as well, So that cant be a distinctive feature, but having both types of them certainly is!

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

G

Just fyi: I know they aren't that popular, and I'm probably the only goofball here that's really interested in building a system based on them, but there is also the FLEX-ATX specification. I believe that the flex ATX form factor was introduced by Intel back in 1999 (help me out, experts?). The dimensions typically run 9.0"x7.5", I think. They are primarily used in industrial computers, rack systems and some small desktop pc's. Most only have one PCI slot (some two), and even fewer have AGP slots, as they typically have on board GPUs (though not stellar ones). They also tend to have onboard ethernet adapters and modems. The ones Ive run across are usually Socket 370, so they are limited in the type of processor you can use. A few new flex ATX boards use Socket 478 now. Problem is most of the cases for them only have 150watt Power Supplies! Hampers your expansion options a bit.

quick plug---> My interest in them is trying to build a powerful platform, which is lightweight, has a small desktop footprint, runs COOL, and is relatively attractive compared to the typical grey boxes littering desktops everywhere. I feel like if the Appleheadz can do it, PC's can probably do it better (with a little thought).