How do you fix you computer(mobo) after a static electricity shock

Mar 3, 2018
I wanted to move my computer into another case, but when I got all the parts into the new case, it wouldn't turn on, when I pushed the power button the LEDs on the fans flashed and the CPU fan turned a very small amount, this will only happen once before I unplug and replug the computer. I think it is a problem with static electricity because when I took the mobo out of my old case I places it(CPU side up) on my cloth tablecloth and i didn't use a grounding strap. Does anybody know if it is possible to fix this? I already tried resetting the cmos.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
While it is possible your system was damaged by static electricity, it is more likely that you made some errors in the move. You may have connected something to the wrong place, or missed plugging something in. One of the most common errors in this sort of work is NOT ensuring that the metal stand-offs screwed into the base plate of the case match exactly the mounting hole locations of the mobo being installed. Did you do that? If not, and you don't really know how, post back here. But I suggest you look on Tom's for threads that tell you a thorough general troubleshooting guide. Those can help you search systematically for what is the real cause of your trouble.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Glad you used stand-offs. Now the details I was thinking of. Usually cases arrive with stand-offs pre-installed. Each is a metal shaft about ¼" long, with a threaded shaft out of one end that screws into a threaded hole in the case's back plate, and with threaded a hole in the top to accept the mounting screw through a mobo hole. But you will find that the case back plate has many more pre-drilled and threaded holes to allow you to re-position the stand-offs according to the requirements of your mobo. Many common mobo designs have 9 mounting holes - 3 lines of 3 each. Each hole has a small pattern of metal "fingers" around it like a little flower. The intent is that the mobo should be grounded to the case back plate via the mounting screws and stand-offs at these points ONLY. So, ideally, you should have one stand-off under the mobo at each mounting hole location for good support. But MORE IMPORTANTLY, you should NEVER have a stand-off under the mobo where there is NO mounting hole; such a mis-located stand-off can short out traces on the mobo bottom surface.

If you are not sure you did this, re-check the position of ALL your stand-offs to ensure there are none in a wrong location.

Mar 3, 2018

I just checked, there are no standoffs other than the one my mobo is screwed into

Mar 3, 2018

I just checked, there are no standoffs other than the one my mobo is screwed into

Mar 3, 2018

Mar 3, 2018