Question How do you get a full 1gbps network?

May 25, 2019
My friend keep asking me but i don't know the answer. He is asking me about his internet. He wanted to get a 1Gbps network but didn't know how. He has a 20Mbps network and have router provided by his isp, cat5e and a pc that has Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller ethernet port, but he only have speed 100Mbps(status of his network). His asking me if he buy inc capable of 1Gbps or not necessary because his pc have a gigabit ethernet port he can get 1Gbps.. or need to buy new cat5e or cat 6?

hardware:
1.Router or modem provided by ISP
  1. Cat 5 cable
  2. MSI a320m pro-vh plus has Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller ethernet port

Is necessary to buy:
  1. NIC
  2. Cat 5e cable or Cat 6
  3. new modem or router, maybe switch or repeater
  4. change a new plan of network?

Im not good in terms of computer so im here for help tnxs...

kanewolf

Titan
His 100Mb limit is probably because the router only has 100Mbit ports. You would have to provide a model number for us to research.
It is also possible it is the cabling. Poor cable can cause a network port to only work at 100Mbit rather than 1GE. But with a 20Mbit ISP package, I bet the router is the limiting factor.

May 25, 2019
His 100Mb limit is probably because the router only has 100Mbit ports. You would have to provide a model number for us to research.
It is also possible it is the cabling. Poor cable can cause a network port to only work at 100Mbit rather than 1GE. But with a 20Mbit ISP package, I bet the router is the limiting factor.
so he need to buy new router or modem.... or change a 1Gbps plan??
and also buy a cat5e cable i think.. So im thinking he need to buy a new modem or router that capable of 1gbps...

Last edited:
So your friend, seeing that he has a 1 gig capable PC is asking, why don't I have 1 gig Internet?

Well problem #1 is, MONEY. Who's paying for the Internet plan? Internet plan is like cable plan, the more u pay, the more channels, FASTER. Once this is resolved, things should proceed accordingly, but MUST be the first thing your friend should address.

May 25, 2019
So your friend, seeing that he has a 1 gig capable PC is asking, why don't I have 1 gig Internet?

Well problem #1 is, MONEY. Who's paying for the Internet plan? Internet plan is like cable plan, the more u pay, the more channels, FASTER. Once this is resolved, things should proceed accordingly, but MUST be the first thing your friend should address.
So he need to change a network plan his current plan is 20 mbps does he need to upgrade to a 1gbps network plan or he just need to change the hardware like his cat5 to cat5e and the router or modem he have form the isp provider?

Apr 2, 2019
he may need both. but the first thing he needs to do is upgrade is internet plan to the 1gbps. No matter what hardware you have, if you don't have the gb plan, your speeds are going to be limited to what your plan is set at. Sounds like he will def need a new router once he upgrades his plan if it only has 100mbit ports

Reactions: Villain in Glasses
May 25, 2019
he may need both. but the first thing he needs to do is upgrade is internet plan to the 1gbps. No matter what hardware you have, if you don't have the gb plan, your speeds are going to be limited to what your plan is set at. Sounds like he will def need a new router once he upgrades his plan if it only has 100mbit ports
tnxs for that i should tell him

The concept is very simple but u must address all pieces, I sense your friend is hoping to change something simple and BAM!

Network is like roads and highways. The user's LAN, routers, switches, modem, cables are your surface roads. Your ISP, Internet plan is the highway that takes you out from the local town. BOTH PIECES have to be capable to allow your car to travel at fast rate. Any pieces not addressed is what's called a BOTTLENECK.

In your case I doubt he can get anything better than he has from his ISP so it does little good to replace any equipment. LTE is a mobile broadband protocol. It will be extremely hard to even get a 100mbps plan. You would need very good signals from the cell tower and not a lot of other people sharing it with you.

Maybe when 5G gets deployed you can get gigabit. We will see what speed people actually get I really doubt it will be a full gigabit.
5G is just starting to be implemented in most countries. It will likely be a few years before it is something common

So he need to change a network plan his current plan is 20 mbps does he need to upgrade to a 1gbps network plan or he just need to change the hardware like his cat5 to cat5e and the router or modem he have form the isp provider?
Ask your friend WHY he/she needs 1Gbps. If internet is delivered thru LTE (Wireless), there's little chance 1Gbps Internet plan is ever available. If, on the other hand, 1Gbps is needed for PC-to-PC communication, or for local streaming (eg high-def movie stored on a PC to a smart TV), then all he/she needs is a 1Gbit switch between existing Ethernet cables and the router.