how do you ghost a HDD?

novice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
How do you do that? I've heard of it but it's not clear...can somebody explain what it is and how to do it please? Thank you! :smile:

Porkloin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
Ghosting is essentially the copying of a drive or partition to another drive or partition. Formatting and partitioning information are usually transferred from the source drive to the destination drive - the destination becomes a "clone" of the source. It's usually done booting up the ghoster and the ghostee from floppies created from within the ghost software.
I use the Norton Ghost software. I've copied drives via a parallel cable between laptops or two desktop drives connected as a master and a slave to the same IDE cable.
The coolest of them all is the ability to boot a laptop connected to the network and have it receive it's hard drive image from a server on the network. It takes about 8 minutes to have a freshly rebuilt and pre-configured laptop based on an image that I painstakingly created and saved to the Ghost server.
I've heard that there's other makers of ghosting software, but I've had no experience with them. I think Norton has the market pretty much cornered.

Sweating like a rancid chunk of pork

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
Check this out

<A HREF="http://www.fssdev.com/products/drive2drive/" target="_new">http://www.fssdev.com/products/drive2drive/</A>

I wonder...what is the speed of gravity?

novice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Nice guys! Thanks a lot! I've gotta go check the Norton Ghost out and compare it with the one above.

I try to smile everyday but I can't... :smile:

novice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
OK...I ran to pricewatch and found out there are two Norton Packages that actually have "Ghost" in it. Here are the two: Norton System Work 2001 = $11 and Norton Ghost 2001 = $55. Could somebody tell me which one is right for me? In terms of money and performance...Thanks a lot!

I try to smile everyday but I can't... :smile: