How do you install Windows 10 w/ not enough memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vmartelle

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
Just bought an HP stream, it doesn't have enough memory for me to upgrade to windows 10.

I ordered a micro sd card online, should be here in two days. My two questions are:

Can you install windows 10 on a micro sd card? And if you can, how would I uninstall windows 8.1, and install the windows 10 onto the laptops hard drive?

Update: I know this sounds stupid but, I downloaded classic shell. I HATE windows 8 and thought the only solution was to upgrade to windows 10, but the shell seems to suffice. Thread closed.

Solution
You have to run the windows 10 installer from inside a activated copy of windows 7 or 8. You can't boot directly to a usb. You could make the boot usb drive using windows media creator tool. But then you'll have to run it from inside windows and select "Upgrade This PC".

I've heard that the only check it does, is to verify that the copy is genuine and activated. It could very well work but I would backup just incase.
It was my understanding that low end devices like the HP stream would not qualify for the free win10 upgrade. Did you get the notice to reserve your copy on the system?

You might be able to load win10 on a usb drive and start the install from there.

vmartelle

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
Okay, let's make this a bit easier. If I got a usb, put Windows 10 on it and booted from there, could it replace the Windows 8 on the hard drive? The problem is for this to work, Windows 8 needs to be deleted first for space by the Windows 10 installer...is this possible?

You have to run the windows 10 installer from inside a activated copy of windows 7 or 8. You can't boot directly to a usb. You could make the boot usb drive using windows media creator tool. But then you'll have to run it from inside windows and select "Upgrade This PC".

I've heard that the only check it does, is to verify that the copy is genuine and activated. It could very well work but I would backup just incase.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.