Question How do you install Windows 7 to a Toshiba laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed?

Oct 11, 2018
Title says it all. I got a burnt iso from getintopc.com and started the installation process. I tried to boot through the bios but it didn't work, so I went on the setup from Windows 10 in the Windows library and went on the disc thing that pops up and ran setup.exe. Everything was fine until it rebooted. It takes forever and stops at "starting windows" what should I do to get this OS installed? I'm relatively new to PC's so if anyone could help, I'd appreciate it!

Generally installing windows 7 on newer hardware is rather complicated.
  1. USB drivers have to be integrated into installation manually (also NVME drivers, if you're installing onto NVME storage device).
  2. Windows update is broken initially after install of windows 7. Several hotfixes have to be installed manually to fix this.
  3. On laptop there will be other problems like missing drivers for various devices. LAN, Wifi, Sound, Touchpad - none of those will work without appropriate drivers. You'll have to search for those drivers manually and install. Not all of drivers may be acquired. Some devices may be left non-functional.

Just use windows 10. You'll save yourself a lot of headache.

Reactions: justsomerandomgamer
Oct 11, 2018
Generally installing windows 7 on newer hardware is rather complicated.
  1. USB drivers have to be integrated into installation manually (also NVME drivers, if you're installing onto NVME storage device).
  2. Windows update is broken initially after install of windows 7. Several hotfixes have to be installed manually to fix this.
  3. On laptop there will be other problems like missing drivers for various devices. LAN, Wifi, Sound, Touchpad - none of those will work without appropriate drivers. You'll have to search for those drivers manually and install. Not all of drivers may be acquired. Some devices may be left non-functional.
Just use windows 10. You'll save yourself a lot of headache.
Thanks for replying! I just wanted to use Windows 7 as the PC can't really cop with 10 very well, and was wondering if 7 would be less intensive on it. Also, wouldn't you have to wipe the hdd/sdd as well so then it's easier?

What's the model name of the laptop?
Why do you think, it can't handle windows 10?

Wiping HDD to install windows 7 is not absolutely necessary. You could shrink existing windows 10 partition, install windows 7 right next to it and have dual boot system. If you wipe hdd/ssd and windows 7 install doesn't go too well, you would have to reinstall windows 10 to get your laptop to usable state again.

Reactions: justsomerandomgamer
Oct 11, 2018
What's the model name of the laptop?
Why do you think, it can't handle windows 10?

Wiping HDD to install windows 7 is not absolutely necessary. You could shrink existing windows 10 partition, install windows 7 right next to it and have dual boot system. If you wipe hdd/ssd and windows 7 install doesn't go too well, you would have to reinstall windows 10 to get your laptop to usable state again.
Good point, it was just a question that I was wondering. and to answer the 2nd question idk. It's slow as shit, but I thought that maybe a fresh reinstall of the OS would do the trick, but it didn't. So I'm kinda trying different ways to make this thing faster, as I have no use for it otherwise. Don't get me wrong the hardware on this thing is balls, but I'm just doing stuff like this for shits and giggles because I'm a boring person.

May 25, 2019
to wipe an OEM HDD you need linux (Kali works best but ubuntu has gparted too) windows install disk wont delete OEM partitions but gparted will just make a bootable usb key with linux live usb creator run in live mode, and use gparted.

Thanks for replying! I just wanted to use Windows 7 as the PC can't really cop with 10 very well, and was wondering if 7 would be less intensive on it. Also, wouldn't you have to wipe the hdd/sdd as well so then it's easier?
I wouldn’t say Windows 7 is easier to run. Windows 10 can run acceptably well on very low powered tablets and was designed for this, look at the Surface 3.

May 25, 2019
Windows install certainly can format entire drive so the needing Linux is not correct
ON some machines the drive won't let windows setup delete partitions in order to create new ones. it is for those machines that linux is the workaround to get rid of the OEM partitions so windows can format the drive