How do you know how to compile the right parts for a build?

Kilo7-

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013
I just don't get how you guys do it. How do you know which brands mix and go with what, and what each are capable of? If I pick random mobos and rams and psu's and gpu's will that work?? lol. I just want to know so I can maybe start thinking for myself.

Solution
In this day and age, just about anything will go together.

There are just a few things you have to look out for like choosing the right motherboard for your processor (e.g. Intel chips only go in motherboards that accept them, obviously), choosing the right power supply (e.g. a 350W PSU won't effectively power the more gamer oriented graphics cards), and what RAM timings are supported by the motherboard you choose.

Instead of just choosing at random, read around about what's preferable these days, figure out what your budget is, and then build around that. If you just pick at random you could be looking forever and then end up with a rig you're not happy with.
In this day and age, just about anything will go together.

There are just a few things you have to look out for like choosing the right motherboard for your processor (e.g. Intel chips only go in motherboards that accept them, obviously), choosing the right power supply (e.g. a 350W PSU won't effectively power the more gamer oriented graphics cards), and what RAM timings are supported by the motherboard you choose.

Instead of just choosing at random, read around about what's preferable these days, figure out what your budget is, and then build around that. If you just pick at random you could be looking forever and then end up with a rig you're not happy with.

Solution

Snarfthefierce

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Pcpartpicker.com to see if everything fits together.

I wish they would sticky the percentages to spend on each component, if its for gaming I'd advise:
30% gpu.
15% cpu.
10% mobo.
5-10% ram.
5% storage(hard drive).
10-20% case is usual.
Power supply will depend on how much power everything else will take usually about 7%
Then wifi cards ect is the rest
Peripherals/monitor not included in percentages