How do you know if your CPU is DOA?

Enix

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I posted a couple days ago about some problems Im having with the system Im building (decided to RMA the motherboard btw, its still under warranty :))

My question is, what will happen if the CPU is dead when you hit the power button?

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
<blockquote><font size=1>Svar på:</font><hr><p>How do you know if your CPU is DOA?<p><hr></blockquote><p>1.Remove your heatsink.
2.Wipe away the thermal paste.
3.If you can read the inscription <b>AMD</b> somewhere on the surface of the CPU, it most likely is DOA.
4.It may require a nasty cleansing solvent to remove the soot.

Sorry, couldn't help it. :wink:

/Copenhagen - P4 Willamette 1700MHz@2109 MHz, Vcore 1.75V@2.20V on Abit TH7II-RAID.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
3.If you can read the inscription AMD somewhere on the surface of the CPU, it most likely is DOA.
What???
4.It may require a nasty cleansing solvent to remove the soot.
<font color=red><i><b>Rubbing alcohol</b></i></font color=red> will do just fine. You really don't know what you're talking about, right?

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My question is, what will happen if the CPU is dead when you hit the power button?
Nothing! Same thing would happen if the mobo is DOA! AMD's CPU is unlikely DOA unless you burn it (w/o heatsink fan) which you can physically see when examining it.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
lol, I was going to say the exact same thing to liven things up a bit and to prove to Intel fans that I'm not a troll.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
<blockquote><font size=1>Svar på:</font><hr><p>Rubbing alcohol will do just fine. You really don't know what you're talking about, right?<p><hr></blockquote><p>You're absolutely right, I was just quoting my theory-book. It's better to listen to hands-on experience, I admit. :wink:

/Copenhagen - P4 Willamette 1700MHz@2109 MHz, Vcore 1.75V@2.20V on Abit TH7II-RAID.

svol

Champion
This is what happend when I fried my CPU:
Pressing power button makes drives start and fans turning, but you won't hear a beep even if you pull the mem/videocard out before powering up, and ofcourse the motherboard wont POST with a fried CPU. Also I couldn't shutdown the power with the normal powerbutton, I had to shut off the powersupply.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

Enix

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
OK, thanks for all the replies.

This is the first system Ive built myself and am really nervous that I fried the CPU, but it sounds like its probably the motherboard *crosses fingers*

Thanks for the help!

scwarner

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2002
Also don't forget to check out the voltage selector switch on the back of your PSU. I built one recently that the selector was set to 220 VAC and was pulling my hair out until i noticed that. It made me feal like an idiot since i have previously built many systems.

"Intel people buy their computers to learn. AMD people build theirs because they already have."

TRENDING THREADS