How do you know the temp of your CPU, RAM? Software for reading temps

john5246

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
hi I'm new to overclocking and let me start out with this newb question:

How do you know the temps of your cpu, hard drive, and RAM? Do you have to install seperate hardware like thermomitors? Or does the board have some way of reading those temps built in? If so what software is popular for reading the temps:

Asus M4A78T-E
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
Cosair XMS3 DDR3 RAM 2GB
ULTRA 600W PSU

1) the temp sensors are "Built In" to the processors, graphics cards, and some Hard drives.

Google " CPUID HWMonitor" and you can down load that. there are other programs such as
Real temp, and
Speed fan.
Also most new MB's come with a utility to provide MB Temps and PSU Voltages.

Some other programs that provide info on memory, cpu, and Gpu are CPU-Z and GPU-Z.

ALL Are free to thoes who know how to google, or now Bing ( without the Bong)

john5246

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

lol, so where is my utility to monitor temps, I have the ASUS board and I would think it would come with that, but I don't see anything!!?!?!?!

and yes I'm very familiar with getting free software from the "usual places"

john5246

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Ok I ran the CPUID program

The CPU Cores are running at 37C (98F)

Hard Drive 37C (98F)

and this is at idle! I'm just browsing the web, is it supposed to run that hot?

I haven't installed the 120mm fans yet, because the one i got is cheap and too noisey, just the cpu fan is running (stock AMD fan)

what temps should I keep it at?

John,
Form my systems, E6400 @3.2, i5-750 @3.2 currently and test a I3-530 @ 3.3, For Idle about 10 C above ambient. My ambient is 20 C: the E6400 is @ 31 C, The I5-750 is 28 to 30 C. These are core temps. The I3 idle I do not think are valid as the core temps are about the same as ambient. I am running Prime 95 on the I3 and the core temps are 49 -> 50 C, But this is under load (Blend test so not 100% load).

I'm not sure what others are seeing on a AMD 955, but I believe it does run hotter.
Try googling the 955 temps, not only for Idle but unter load. I'm sure your 37 C is not a problem at Idle, But you need to check it under load, just run Prime 95, should reach close to max with in 15 mins. Monitor it and exit if temps get to High for the 955.