how do you know when a fan is a Intake fan or exhaust fan?

a fan can either be intake or exhaust, depends on how you use it.
if you take a look at the fan, one side has a bracket err.. i cant quite describe it, like an X, the other side is open, the side with the X (goes from corner to corner) is the side where the air goes out. so now it depends on how you install it, in any case just reverse it after testing if its not what you want.
or just plug it without installing in the case, feel the air and you'll know.

for cheap fans, i love the deep cool wind blade. or corsairs FP120 (not sure lol)

Reactions: Kajshsj
There should be arrows embossed in the fan's frame or printed on a sticker that indicates the direction of air flow and the direction that the fan blades spin.

It is you who decides whether or not the fan is used as an intake fan or an exhaust fan based on which way you mount the fan onto the computer case.

If you have more intake fans than exhaust fans (i.e. assuming all fans have the same air flow) you will have a positive pressure case. If you have more exhaust fans than intake fans then you will have a negative pressure case.

dann20201

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc9c8LFY1bg
This explains it all :)

Jul 10, 2019
a fan can either be intake or exhaust, depends on how you use it.
if you take a look at the fan, one side has a bracket err.. i cant quite describe it, like an X, the other side is open, the side with the X (goes from corner to corner) is the side where the air goes out. so now it depends on how you install it, in any case just reverse it after testing if its not what you want.
or just plug it without installing in the case, feel the air and you'll know.

for cheap fans, i love the deep cool wind blade. or corsairs FP120 (not sure lol)
I have a NZXT H500 case and it already comes with 2 exhaust fans at the back, and the kinda X shape at the back is facing inwards to the case? But it is an exhaust fan. So my best advice is to look at where to "flow" arrow is pointing, and USUALLY the air flow is going to the direction where the "x" or barrier is.

Last edited: