[SOLVED] How do you know which version/vendor of GPU to buy?

jaged

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
I'm on pcpartpicker looking at GeForce GTX 1650 Super and there are so many. Evga SC Ultra Gaming, MSI Ventus XS OC, Gigabyte Windforce OC, Zotac Twin Fan. Quickly looking across the table they all look pretty well the same except for price.
How do you guys choose?

Solution
You do have to be careful. Sometimes, higher performing cards will cost less from a different reseller. Some of these 'model names' will just be 1650 Supers with slightly higher max boost clocks.
Two things to think about -
Definitely wait about 5 weeks for BF/CM. You'll get a much better deal on a new GPU then. Also, if it were me, I would not go with the 1650 series. Those cards use re-hashed 3-generation-old GPU cores. They will start showing their age soon. Look towards the mid-performing RTX 2000 series at the least.

jaged

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
I’m in Canada and my budget is $400’ish.
I’m more trying to figure out the rhyme and reason of all these models. Are they ultimately all the same where a shopper can’t go wrong or no, you have to be careful

You do have to be careful. Sometimes, higher performing cards will cost less from a different reseller. Some of these 'model names' will just be 1650 Supers with slightly higher max boost clocks.
Two things to think about -
Definitely wait about 5 weeks for BF/CM. You'll get a much better deal on a new GPU then. Also, if it were me, I would not go with the 1650 series. Those cards use re-hashed 3-generation-old GPU cores. They will start showing their age soon. Look towards the mid-performing RTX 2000 series at the least.

Solution
I'm on pcpartpicker looking at GeForce GTX 1650 Super and there are so many. Evga SC Ultra Gaming, MSI Ventus XS OC, Gigabyte Windforce OC, Zotac Twin Fan. Quickly looking across the table they all look pretty well the same except for price.
How do you guys choose?
I've stuck with the unfortunate fallacy of "first satisfied company is the winner," and that was EVGA. To their credit though, I've had nothing but EVGA cards for the past 6 generations of upgrades and only one of them croaked while it had a few months of warranty left. Though I got it replaced in a painless manner. The rest ran like champs.

But if you're coming in absolutely new to this, I'd look more to see how people enjoyed their customer support if they had to deal with it.

Definitely wait about 5 weeks for BF/CM. You'll get a much better deal on a new GPU then. Also, if it were me, I would not go with the 1650 series. Those cards use re-hashed 3-generation-old GPU cores.
The 1650 series uses Turing.

Reactions: alceryes