How do you manage all of your passwords?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emd023

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2013
How do you keep track of all of your passwords? I see people using password software but im not sure I trust the security of these. What happens if my phone/pc is compromised?

Lately, ive been keeping similar passwords to all of my sites. For example, for best buy it would be something like Mypw125%BB. For Toms Hardware it would be Mypw125%TH. Does anyone do something similar? Are there smarter ways to do this?

Thanks.

WildCard999

Titan
Piece of paper with my passwords written on in my wallet and a copy in my room. Figured if the PC/Phone is comprised then they'll eventually find a way to get into those passwords that are secured with software. How to determine which one is for which account though is abbreviated and has numbers so even if someone gets the paper it would still take a bit of time to figure out what is what.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Piece of paper with my passwords written on in my wallet and a copy in my room. Figured if the PC/Phone is comprised then they'll eventually find a way to get into those passwords that are secured with software. How to determine which one is for which account though is abbreviated and has numbers so even if someone gets the paper it would still take a bit of time to figure out what is what.

Yes. I don't use any software too.
I use two pieces of paper
For the first one, it contains the email address/ID and the letter code for example A,B,C....
then on another paper, only the assigned code with the real password
and the two sheets of paper kept separately.

An even safer way if you often bring the two pieces of paper around and are worried that you will lose your wallet. That is, you only use one paper, write down your ID and password but part of your password are not written and only kept in your mind

Reactions: WildCard999
Jan 17, 2020
Most password managers use special encryption algorithms to protect valuable information. That is, such algorithms are almost impossible to intercept for any hacker. What I do personally:
  1. Use password manager
  2. Have a physical note with all my passwords
Remembering strong passwords for each platform is simply impossible, but I do rely on password managers. They are convenient and easy to use (well most of them haha)
Keeping a physical note gives me a peace of mind and I know that even though my device crashes or I lose all the passwords somehow, there will be no problems at all :)

Jan 8, 2020
I usually use one complex password on all sites. In inventing it, I tried to adhere to all the known requirements for passwords (capital and small letters, numbers, signs, etc.). To remember it, I use associations. For example, take the birthdays (numbers) of all your close relatives and arrange them in descending or rising order. Before that, use the name of your favorite movie/TV series/pet/Pokemon, etc. If you use a variety of programs in which passwords are stored, then you can not write down the entire password, but only the part that differs from your original "main" password. I am doing this corny in Google documents, writing down what is different, but without entering the same "main" password.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS