[SOLVED] How do you open a hibernated drive?

dave_d

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
I have a bit of an issue with one of my drives running Windows. Pretty much Windows 10 tells me that it can't access the disk and I know the reason for that is because I had quick boot turned on for that instance of windows. (I really regret not turning off that "feature".) Before I go nuts pulling my hair out anybody know to get access to the drive? (I've read Linux can do it but it might corrupt the install of windows on that drive. Is there a tool in windows that will let me access the drive or even reset the hibernation?)

Advise your system make/ model or component specs. Are you saying you can't boot from a hard drive? By "Quick boot", do you mean the Windows 10 program Fast Startup, or are your talking about a BIOS setting. Fast Startup stores systems files in RAM so they don't have to be loaded the next time you boot your computer. If you think there is some corrupt data saved in the RAM, all you need to do is unplug your PC and hold down the power button for about 10 seconds (or just R&R your RAM. This will drain the residual power and clear the RAM of any data.

dave_d

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Just to clarify this is a custom build as follows
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 6
CPU i5 3570
Memory 16 GB
Drive 1 Intel 520 SSD 240gb (Win 8.1 install, set up for dual boot)
Drive 2 Samsung 850 evo 500gb(Win 10 installed, set up for dual boot)

The long and short of it is I have Windows 10 on the Samsung and windows 8.1 on the intel. The last time I used 8.1 I shut down normally. Now when I try to boot up 8.1 I get an OS select screen and then it just goes black and nothing happens. Since however I neglected to turn off fast boot in Windows 8.1 that drive is hibernated and I can't see files on that drive. Since the Samsung drive has Windows 10 and is a bootable drive I can start up my PC no problem. I just can't see anything on the intel drive. Of course I'm going to generate an 8.1 install disk and use the repair utilities on it to try to repair my 8.1 install however given my luck with other MS repair utils I'm not holding out a ton of hope. I was hoping there was a basic way simply see the files on the intel drive. I know I can do this in linux and there's even a command to do it read only so I won't corrupt anything. Just hoping there's a windows way as well.

Oh for what it's worth I have Crystal Reports installed on my Win 10 install. According to S.M.A.R.T. both drives are fine. So in theory I should be able to get the data off.

dave_d

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Try this to save your files
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...t/862c143f-9239-4e63-8968-635e8ba9efd6?auth=1

BTW, have you tried removing all other drives and just booting from one?
Thanks, I'll try that. Yes I did try just the one drive and no luck. Also after disconnecting all the drives I tried using the cable that was hooked up to the Samsung just to make sure it wasn't something silly like a cable going bad on me. (No luck there either.) I'll pretty much back up the drive and then try that start up repair option, fingers crossed.

dave_d

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Thanks, using the command prompt from the install media like that link said did let me get at the files. Actually I found I could do robocopy like this

robocopy <source> <destination> /MIR /ZB /R:0 /W:0

to back up the entire drive to a directory and would also let me know what was going on. (In case anybody else is in the same boat and just wants a bit better of a copy mechanism than the one in the article.)

Oh well, now on to seeing if I can fix my Windows install.(Let's see, I've told the install media to try to fix start up which failed because the log says everything is ok. Guess I can see if chkdsk does anything or bootrec do anything. Guess I should also see if it's a problem when it tries to load up the hibernation file.)