How do you recover files from a USB drive if Windows can't recognize it?

Aug 7, 2018
The USB drive - MP3 player in question is a Creative MuVo 1GB V100. My niece bricked it when she deleted the drivers off the USB in an attempt to make more room on it. I couldn't figure out how to recover the data from it after that. "Since then" when I plug it in Windows will give the error "Device descriptor request failed." Windows can't "see" it. Does anyone know of a way or an application I could download that would recover the data on it?

P.S. "Since then" refers to years ago. I was reminded about this piece of hardware when watching a youtube video so I brought it out and plugged it in and it didn't work. I tried my best to fix it myself. The device drivers and applications that Creative made never worked. I'm hoping there is a linux or sourceforge answer in how to access the data on the flash drive. I'd be amazed and a little humiliated if there was a way to access it with windows.

" (unless you are FBI-class shop, and you would not ask here)."

Do you really think that forensic techniques to physically acquire the data stored is the only option if the USB drive and Windows OS can't communicate? Thanks for your reply, I was reading mostly about drivers before. I didn't think about forensic programs.

Update: I'll look into virtual box and try to run a virtual XP machine to see if the manufacture application works in installing the driver. The player had a great (for 2002) quality microphone on it so I used it partly as an audio journal Captain Kirk style.

Solution
This device is a toast. As long as it is not recognized as a valid USB device, you can't do anything to it (unless you are FBI-class shop, and you would not ask here).

Then - what is so much irreplaceable from a MP3 player? That ugly song by that rapper with unpronounceable name? C'mmon...
This device is a toast. As long as it is not recognized as a valid USB device, you can't do anything to it (unless you are FBI-class shop, and you would not ask here).

Then - what is so much irreplaceable from a MP3 player? That ugly song by that rapper with unpronounceable name? C'mmon...

Solution