How do you remove long file names in Internet temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterjedi

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
I tried searching long file names and Internet temp files in the W2k forum, but didn't find anything. I have some very long internet temp files, but I can't see to remove them. Anyone know the answer?

riser

Illustrious
Go a little more in depth.. you're trying to delete the files? What happens when you just try to delete them? are you getting an error, etc?
Are you using IE or another Browser and trying to delete them?

peterjedi

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
I tried to delete the file throught IE and DOS. It saids unable to delete. It is some temporary internet file that is longer than 255 characters. It seems windows can't delete it.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Try moving the file(s) to a shallower path so it drops below 255 chars.

Just my WAG.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

peterjedi

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
You can't rename it or move it. You can't delete it. You basically can't do anything. It is not recognize as an NTFS file. I am going to check with Microsoft.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Whats wrong with clearing the internet temp through IE?
Tools>internet options>delete files>check delete all offline content>ok

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

riser

Illustrious
Someone else was posting this kind of problem a few weeks ago too.

If he's on 98, disable long file names, if he's on XP.. interesting. Someone posted about a 3rd party app that went through designed to delete long file names.

There's also a dos function you can do to try and delete.

Jedi, have you tried going into safe mode on this?

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hehe, thanks for asking, but no, my other does not know how to browse files without me telling what to point and what to click, let alone find deleted files. But yeah, few years ago (not any more, since I quit computer business) I have experimented with lots of sofwares of that kind, caz some of friends of mine have that issue with others and also have sensitive business data, so they ask me those kind of questions.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

peterjedi

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
This doesn't work either. It's like windows can't see the files. I tried DOS it didn't work either. I didn't try safe mode. My Admin was able to mount the HD from a Linux server, then remove the files. I am sure there are many other hacks. Thanks for everyone's replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.