How do you setup a ssd? (need help fast)

Neo_6_

Prominent
May 3, 2017
I just installed windows on my ssd (120gbs) but all my programs are installing to the ssd NOT the hdd help please?

Solution

No, C:\ will always be the main one. However, you can target your Downloads, Documents, Music, Pictures folders to D:\ drive, but it will always default to C:\ being the chosen one (see what I did there?)
You have to format the hard drive and give it a drive letter. Once you do that, you manually have to change the installation path of the program. For example, if you wanted to install mIRC (don't judge), instead of C:\Program Files\mIRC, you have to change the path to G:\Program Files\mIRC (or any folder on the G: drive). In this case G: is my HDD, but you can make it ANY letter you want (except C:).

When installing programs make sure to click on "custom" install. this is where you have the option to change the installation path. The only thing that will need to be changed is the drive letter in the very beginning to the letter that is assigned to the HDD. Do not just breeze through the installation of any program, pay attention to where is is installing. Some things need to be installed on the C:\ drive, like drivers and some hardware programs, those are the only ones that do not give an option to change the install path.

Neo_6_

Prominent
May 3, 2017
Oh yeah i put the letter as D drive because im going to be installing everything onto it. I only installed after effects and sony vegas to the ssd. But one question, why is nivida installed to the ssd? i want to move it to the HDD.

^ no , using regedit can be dangerous for the inexperienced & there is absolutely no need whatsoever !!

I have an ssd boot drive & 4 secondaries & can install whatever wherever I like.

My steam & origin games are spread across all 4 drives.

Neo_6_

Prominent
May 3, 2017
Oh thank you was about to do it lol! btw is there anyway to make the D drive the default installation/download drive? (im on windows 8.1 not 10)

No, C:\ will always be the main one. However, you can target your Downloads, Documents, Music, Pictures folders to D:\ drive, but it will always default to C:\ being the chosen one (see what I did there?)

Solution

Yes sir. So all of your downloads from Chrome or whatever will go there. Unless a program defaults to the C:\ drive. If you download something and it's not on the D: drive, most like the program has default settings. So you want to check C:\ drive just to be sure.