Discussion How do you sync the work between on the go laptop and desktop at home?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi, for those of you who use laptop on the go/at work and a desktop at home, how do you sync your works? I think it is a bit inconvenience to copy files back and forth between the two computers. Also, unlike the Mac, some programs do not allow installation and running on two different computers. How do you resolve this issue without buying an extra copy of each programs you use?

thread is 7 days old but only just seen it.

My remedy is simple yet effective -- I do not save any of my data on any of my computers --- I save it on four external hard drives (each one holding the same data).
Why four ? That's so I always have multiple backups as insurance.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'm taking classes right now and do work in multiple classrooms, computer lab, laptop and home desktop. i keep it all synced by simply working off a thumb drive. so i'm carrying the files with me and just use them as i go no matter where i am.

a lot of software i use is not installed on some of the classroom or lab pc's (and of course you can't install anything on them) so i also located or created portable apps so that i can also carry those along with me and use them no matter what pc i am now. most of the common software is already available as portable apps in places like https://portableapps.com/

but for software that's not there i found this little gem that makes it nice and easy to create them as i go. it's called cameyo https://cameyo.com/

i use the free version which only requires an account be made with them. the program watches as you install the app on one pc and then packages all the changes into a package you can put on a thumb drive and use anywhere. this solves the need to buy multiple copies of stuff as it's only been installed once as far as any online activation is concerned.

i of course keep my files from the thumb drive backed-up at home regularly in case i lose it but that's a simple copy and paste every couple days to my normal back-up drive. of course backing up to the cloud would work just as well. plenty of free cloud space for the MS/Google/Apple accounts you already have in use.