How do you tell who created a user account?

We just noticed there were a couple of accounts in our Active Directory that
were created by someone else. Is there a way to figure out which userid
created these accounts???? Thanks

"Doug Danco" <Doug Danco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We just noticed there were a couple of accounts in our Active Directory
that
> were created by someone else. Is there a way to figure out which userid
> created these accounts???? Thanks

I have never looked but there should be a "owner"
on the accounts in AD as there is an Owner on the
files people create.

For the future, enable Account Management Auditing
and make sure you review the logs on such actions.

--
Herb Martin

The only way I was able to check the creator of the user logon is by checking
the "Owner" of the users folder that should be automatically created while
creating the actual user in AD.
Hope that helped.

"celticcustom" wrote:
> The only way I was able to check the creator of the user logon
> is by checking
> the "Owner" of the users folder that should be automatically
> created while
> creating the actual user in AD.
> Hope that helped.
>
> "Herb Martin" wrote:
>
> > "Doug Danco" <Doug Danco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>  > > We just noticed there were a couple of accounts in
> our Active Directory
> > that
>  > > were created by someone else. Is there a way to
> figure out which userid
>  > > created these accounts???? Thanks
> >

> > I have never looked but there should be a "owner"
> > on the accounts in AD as there is an Owner on the
> > files people create.
> >
> > For the future, enable Account Management Auditing
> > and make sure you review the logs on such actions.
> >
> > --
> > Herb Martin

Hi,

Only Network Admins and those Delegated Control can create user
accounts in AD. Do you have that many Admins? I would turn on the
Advanced Options and then right click the OU where the user was
created and check who is delegated to create users.

Cheers,
Lara

--
http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Active-Directory-created-user-account-ftopict242710.html

> > > I have never looked but there should be a "owner"
> > > on the accounts in AD as there is an Owner on the
> > > files people create.

Well, I went and looked and the owner is clearly listed
on my Win2003 Domain objects, and the odds are it is
listed on even Win2000 domains as well.

If not, it is certainly a property that can be found
programmatically, perhaps with regular or ADSI program.

DS Objects have owners. (They pretty much must have
in order to use permissions the way they do.)

Ownership is visible on each object through the Properties->
Security tab->Advanced->Ownership tab of that object.

You may have to enable View->Advanced to see the
security Tab in AD Users/Computers.

--
Herb Martin