[SOLVED] how do you test router signal over a period of time

luckydriver

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
im my friends IT person. she has a rented comcast modem, one of the newer smaller ones. its in the middle of a 3 story house, 2nd floor. get complaints about phone wifi dropping out from 3 different users. using my phone with wifi analyitics ive scanned the farthest points of the house and i get good signal. however i realized i was on the 'public' xfinitywifi signal, not the 2.4 in the house. still, the results should be the same shoudlnt they?

but is there a way i can use a spare cell phone, keep it plugged in and screen on and app going, so that i can get a history if the wifi truly drops out or not?

ive taken one of the phones in use there and ive had an instance where it didtn get signal upstairs but even in the room next to the router i got zero signal. it was crazy. there definitely should be signal all on the same floor as the router as its not that big a house.

also there are a tons of devices on the network. i believe 15 at least. but no more than 3 phones are ever in use at the same time and just basic email and surfing

Solution
they have it on 2.4 because 5 is shorter range and since they have range issues we turned off 5.0

Try splitting your traffic first, and see if the drops are network congestion related or truly range/strength dependent. With 15 devices on 2.4, you're still going to come into management issue with legacy devices.

Older 802.11ac and earlier modems, especially those provided by ISPs, only support Mu-MIMO on 5Ghz if at all. Newer WiFi6/6e modems support it on all frequencies including 2.4Ghz.

Try putting old gear that has to be on 802.11b/g on 2.4 and then split the people off onto 5.0 and see what happens to the speed & stability.
Can't help with an app that monitors signal all the time.

If signal keeps dropping for multiple users and devices. Yet is strong other times. I'd expect there is something wrong with the router.

Also why is everyone using 2.4 instead of 5? That would be an old xfinity router if it only supports 2.4. I'd tell them to exchange it. They are renting it by the month after all. They should have up to date equipment. 5Ghz generally supports faster speed and doesn't have as many issues with multiple WiFi in an area. Although obstructions have more impact on signal.

Another option is to save them rent. Have them get a cable modem and router or combo. Then ditch the monthly rent payment. I prefer separate as it gives you more flexibility in router options. Be sure to check xfinity's supported equipment page before buying a modem or combo device.

luckydriver

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
id get them a wifi extender or even a good router and modem except what if its something like the wiring to or in the house. then wasted money

they have it on 2.4 because 5 is shorter range and since they have range issues we turned off 5.0

also every home has about half acre or so so they arent in too busy of a signal area.

Sep 16, 2020

Try splitting your traffic first, and see if the drops are network congestion related or truly range/strength dependent. With 15 devices on 2.4, you're still going to come into management issue with legacy devices.

Older 802.11ac and earlier modems, especially those provided by ISPs, only support Mu-MIMO on 5Ghz if at all. Newer WiFi6/6e modems support it on all frequencies including 2.4Ghz.

Try putting old gear that has to be on 802.11b/g on 2.4 and then split the people off onto 5.0 and see what happens to the speed & stability.

Solution