How do you think the 5870 will work on Vista compared to W7?

purplefire

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I have been running Vista for some time now, it used to run flawlessly and i loved it, now it's failing me every chance it can get. I would like to upgrade to Windows 7 at some point in the near future, but that probably won't be for a few months. So that aside, do you think there will be much difference in performance between using a 5870 with Vista, and using it with Windows 7? I know that you need W7 in order to use DX11, but was the card designed with that in mind? And if so, is the reverse compatibility with DX10 still efficient?

Ps, i have my Vapor X 5870 on pre-order now :)

TheViper

Distinguished
We won't know for sure until more reviews come in comparing both with DX 11 but there isn't likely to be any huge gains going from Vista to Win 7. Most would be negligible to the end user anyway.

purplefire

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Ah i was hoping that would be the case. I guess it's worth waiting until at least the first few good DX11 powered games emerge like Dirt 2, to give W7 time to accrue drivers and compatibilities.

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009

yes , do that first and see the difference in performnace , win 7 vs win vista on dx11 would not be noticeable as wddm1.1(win 7) is only a minor update of wddm1.0(vista) . as far as dx10 games are concerned m there is virtually no difference as per anandtech's few benchmarks . upcoming dx11 games would run the best on 5870 , of course .

if ure running vista and need to use dx11 , there is no need to spend some dollars from going to win 7 for gaming . you could save that money and get a much better return from another card anyway !

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
i forgot to add this , you dont need to use win 7 for vista at all . its the winxp users who need to upgrade to 7 the most , as directx11 itself is a major update to dx10 , unlike dx10 which wasnt that much appreciable to dx9/xp users . i have that platform update which mousemonkey gave the link to and am running dx11 on vista now .

purplefire

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Oh right, i read somewhere that DX11 required W7, like DX10 required Vista. Thanks for the info guys!

Haha, no, i am getting mine through OCUK