[SOLVED] How do you truly uninstall windows updates?

tomseurocat

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014
I have noticed a serious performance drop in my games since the updates of 12-9-20. Video now has some micro-stuttering going on. All I can think of is that there must be some kind of conflict going on. I'm trying to uninstall these updates, but when my PC restarts, the system just reinstalls the update that I was trying to uninstall. I've installed the newest video driver from Nvidia and that did nothing. I ran Ccleaner on my system hoping that it would remove a conflict and still nothing. I also noticed since the updates were installed, my chrome extensions (TubeBuddy, Malwarebytes and SurfShark) keep on crashing on me.
Help!!!

This is what is installed on my PC:
Edition: Windows 10 Pro
Version: 20H2
Installed on: 11-12-20 and updated 12-9-20
OS Build: 19042.572
Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0

Last edited:
Solution
I have noticed a serious performance drop in my games since the updates of 12-9-20. Video now has some micro-stuttering going on. All I can think of is that there must be some kind of conflict going on. I'm trying to uninstall these updates, but when my PC restarts, the system just reinstalls the update that I was trying to uninstall. I've installed the newest video driver from Nvidia and that did nothing. I ran Ccleaner on my system hoping that it would remove a conflict and still nothing. I also noticed since the updates were installed, my chrome extensions (TubeBuddy, Malwarebytes and SurfShark) keep on crashing on me.
Help!!!

Installed on: 11-12-20...

Colif

Win 11 Master
what is the KB number of the update? i assume its this one - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4592438/windows-10-update-kb4592438 since it was released the day before.
19042.572 = release build of 20H2

you can't really uninstall them but you could delay them.
I would attempt to restart PC without any internet connection as then it can't just download update.
then while internet is d/c, go into windows update and click advanced options
right down the bottom is pause updates
pick a date in the next month

you can't stall them forever but maybe windows release a fix in that time.

tomseurocat

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014
So even if I delay updates, that is for future updates and not this last batch of updates? I just have to live with this issue until windows decides to fix it, if in fact they do?
Yes, that is one of them. There is a number of other updates that got installed at the same time.

KB4562830
KB4579311
KB4586876
KB4593175

tomseurocat

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014
I would agree with that, but I have never had a good experience with windoze updates yet. Everytime there is one, it messes with the performance of my PC and its just not worth it. I have to go through days at times of figuring out what they messed up now.
When I was on W7, I never updated until the day that I was forced to update to W10, and it has been heartache ever since. I never had a problem with W7.

Reactions: Mtop

USAFRet

Titan
I would agree with that, but I have never had a good experience with windoze updates yet. Everytime there is one, it messes with the performance of my PC and its just not worth it. I have to go through days at times of figuring out what they messed up now.
When I was on W7, I never updated until the day that I was forced to update to W10, and it has been heartache ever since. I never had a problem with W7.
Meanwhile, none of my systems have had an issue with any Windows 10 update.
Including an ancient Toshiba laptop, that has been running 10 since Day 1 of the initial TechPreview.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen. But it is not a universal condition.

Reactions: hotaru.hino

tomseurocat

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014
Not trying to be difficult here, but do you record video footage using OBS? If you do, does it have microstuttering in the footage? Doesn't happen all the time, but when it does happen it's like there is a conflict of some type going on and the thing that started this whole issue sequence was that windows updated my system. I recorded footage just over a week ago before the updates and everything was fine.
Just looking for a solution here.

tomseurocat

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014
why were you forced to update to win 10, and I assume you have clean installed win 10 since then given your current system specs.
that system shouldn't have any problems with Win 10, its not even old.

They stopped support for W7, so I updated.

Yes, I've clean installed numerous times on different PC's since then. Just looking for a solution that doesn't require me to clean install again.

Last edited:
Hi tom the 20H2 update has made my start up tiles go black and white , faulty updates have been a pain in the **** ever since microsoft removed the "hide" button you have no choice but to take everything. Their are 3rd party programs that claim to "hide" updates but i have yet to find one that works. If you do manage to find one you will still be given the updates again because the update scanner wont know you hid it , it will just think you not got it.

With regards to the 20H2 , it will show as optional BUT you cant ignore it forever because you will eventually be given it as a background update.

You ask how to uninstall updates you think are causing you a problem , go to add/remove , in top right click programs and features , when that opens you will see view windows updates in top left , open this and left click the update you want to get rid of and you will see uninstall appear at the top of the page.

These sorts of problems will keep happening until Microsoft gives users the "hide" button back.

Earlier this year i had to stop using 3 pc's because a faulty patch stopped my search box working , i could not type anything , i did not try any fixes because i found a posting saying microsoft was aware of the problem.

tomseurocat

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014
I agree,If Microsoft Gave that ability Back to the user it would be wonderful.

I already uninstalled But when I Restarted my system It just reinstalled the update.And now I can't even left click and get an uninstall option.

USAFRet

Titan
On my system, the feature updates can be deferred up to 365 days.
The quality updates up to 30 days.
Where is that?
This is what I see in Advanced Options:
bE5SjBz.png

(win 10 pro)

Wolfshadw

Titan
It used to be that you could hold off updates indefinitely if you turned on "Download updates over metered connections"; meaning that you have limited download capabilities and Microsoft could not use that without your express permission. Is this no longer the case?

-Wolf sends

Edit:

Settings --> Update & Security --> Advanced Options --> Download updates over metered connections (extra charge may apply)

Also meanwhile I've streamed on Twitch last week using OBS and I don't recall seeing any stuttering or any other impact to the quality of what I was doing. I'm on Windows 10 Home 20H2. Though I think my computer did update within the last week so I can see if I have issues when I stream again. But even outside of that, I don't have any issues.

Where is that?
This is what I see in Advanced Options:
bE5SjBz.png

(win 10 pro)
Below that entry, I see choose when updates are to be installed.
one box allows deferring for up to 365 days.
The box below allows quality/security updates to be deferred for 30 days.

If it matters, my build is 1909 installed 8/14/2020

As a matter of course, I take a user system restore checkpoint before the update is done.

Dec 16, 2020
Help!!!

Installed on: 11-12-20 and updated 12-9-20
OS Build: 19042.572
Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0

First, if you can get into Windows, follow these steps to roll back an update:

• Press Win+I to open the Settings app.
  • Choose Update and Security.
  • Click the Update History link.
  • Click the Uninstall Updates link.
  • The Control Panel’s Installed Updates windows appears. It lists all updates that Windows monitors, which includes Windows updates as well as updates to specific programs.
  • Choose the update you want to undo.
  • The updates are categorized by program and then by date. Choose the top item in the Microsoft Windows category to remove the most recent Windows update.
  • Click the Uninstall button that appears on the toolbar.
  • Not every update features the Uninstall button. Minor updates may not show the button.
  • Follow the directions provided on the screen.
If prompted to restart Windows, do so.
The update should be removed successfully and your system restored. If not, or when the computer won’t start, boot the system into the Windows Recovery Environment and enter safe mode.

You can also use System Restore to recover from a bad Windows update. If you can’t access System Restore in Windows or in safe mode, use the Windows Recovery Environment.

Regards,
Rick Bale

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Below that entry, I see choose when updates are to be installed.
one box allows deferring for up to 365 days.
The box below allows quality/security updates to be deferred for 30 days.

If it matters, my build is 1909 installed 8/14/2020
I'm on 20H2.
Below that selection, I see 'Delivery optimization', which speaks to 'Allow downloads from other PC's blah blah'

And I just checked my old laptop which is still on 1909, installed 11/15/2019, also Pro.
Same view as my above. Nothing about 365.

tomseurocat

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014
Obviously my friend, you just cut and pasted from an article that has already been read and discussed. Recovery only works if your willing to install all your programs again. Personal files are kept but programs are not. Thanks for trying!!!

TRENDING THREADS