How do you undo firmware update?

brncao

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
I flashed my dvd burner with a newer firmware (from Dell's website) and it fudged up my dvd burner. How do I roll back to an earlier one? The drive is not recognized anywhere (disk management, my computer, device manager, etc.)

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
If you've restarted your computer already and your computer didn't recognise the drive during POST, then I'm sorry to say the drive is FUBAR.
You can still reflash the drive with older firmware if you haven't restarted the computer yet I think.

Hot flashing optical drive... nnyone heard of it being done before? (just wondering)

Pretty sure not. The BIOS needs to be able to recognize the device. Otherwise, the flash utility doesn't know where to send the data.

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009

You can still reflash the drive with older firmware if you haven't restarted the computer yet I think.
You can. I'm just not 100% sure about optical drives.

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
I flashed mine for the purpose of getting better burn qualities through the range of different blank disks and to get RPC1.
What's puzzling is Dell website providing those firmwares. They could be directly from Lite-on, Samsung, NEC...etc. depending on the ODM of the optical drive used.