How do you update your apps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do I update my Windows 8 apps? I'm logged into Windows 8 with my Live ID. I have payment info associated. All I'm trying to do is run my free Skype app. It won't run. Windows 8 says the app requires an update. I click the button to run the update. It brings me to the marketplace update screen listing all the apps requiring an update. I click the 'Install' button. The green progress bars all move to the right and the process all ends anti-climactically with the message 'This app wasn't installed - view details'. I click to '...view details' and it results in the following message in a tiny pop-up style window:

Something happened and this app couldn't be installed. Please try again. Error Code: 0x800700b7

Also displayed with the message are the button options to 'Try Again' or 'Cancel'. Trying again results in the same failure to update. As a result, I can't run the apps.

Anyone else out there getting this or know how to resolve this issue? I'd appreciate any help you have to offer.

This is so basic. I can't believe Microsoft has made this a process that involves troubleshooting. My android tablet, my Windows 7 phone and the iPods my family members use are all just one-touch updates. Windows 8, at this point to me, is like the Pet Rock of 2012. Good thing for the 'Desktop' Windows 7-esque view.

Solution
If you receive this issue again or encounter another apps won't download on any user account here's a quick fix
go to elevated CMD by pressing Windows+X and select command prompt (admin)
type this in or create a batch file

net stop wuauserv
rename C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution softwaredistribution.old
net start wuauserv

Works most of the time,
To add to the issue, another user on the PC - whose account is setup as a 'Kid Account' on the PC - can access all of the apps without a problem. They can run Skype, Netflix and others without issue from the tiles, while me, the guy who set all the settings in Windows 8 has the issue described above.

pinguidj

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
The same issue? Any ideas?

Alfheim

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
If you receive this issue again or encounter another apps won't download on any user account here's a quick fix
go to elevated CMD by pressing Windows+X and select command prompt (admin)
type this in or create a batch file

net stop wuauserv
rename C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution softwaredistribution.old
net start wuauserv

Works most of the time,

Solution

Jojo1234

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
The reason why windows 8 app won't open,download or update is because the whole window it self need updating to do this go to setting in start click and open change pic setting then on the left side you scroll to the bottom where it says windows update click on it then it should say how many updates it need click update, if the update green bar doesn't move click cancel and click most important update (something like that) it should take you to desktop and click update all...files it should work before I updated my window none of my apps was downloading and the ones that did wouldn't open. I hope this helps

You need to open an elevated command prompt to run these commands. Either type "cmd" into the start screen and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to run as elevated, or press the Windows Key + X on your keyboard and click the option called "Command Prompt (Admin)".

dabishop

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013

Really? This is your helpfull piece of advice? The initial poster detailed how he went through the steps that are indicated in your tutoral.
Nice. Great advice. Circular logic, I love it.

Good advice. I actually had to do this to get Windows Update working as I noticed on this laptop, the OS hadn't updated successfully in a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.