How do you use Intel Quicksync?

thepregnantgod

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
I have an i3 2120 installed in a Z68mobo. I downloaded Badaboom (on intel's site advertized as using quick sync) because Handbrake allegedly does not use quick sync.

So, how do I actually take advantage of the video decoding i3 capabilities? What software do I need to use?

thepregnantgod

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Since I owe this community greatly, let me provide my lessons learned...

My goal was to convert a large media collection (around 10 TB) on a remote system so it doesn't bog down my primary machine. I built a WHS2011 system (very nice) with about 25TB of space. I wanted:

A. A primary folder of Movies in .vob/.iso format to watch on wired connections in the house.
B. A secondary folder of large format continuous .mp4 videos to watch via remote media streaming over the internet on a laptop or such when we travel
C. A tertiary folder of mobile phone sized videos to watch in the car, waiting, for the kids, etc.

I already have the .vob/.iso folder. To create the second and third I built an i3 2120 system, 8gb RAM, on a Z68 mobo. I would use this for quicksync purposes as I didn't want to have a discrete gpu (power savings since it would be on 24/7).

Lessons: IntelQuickSync indeed does work faster than cpu only. And...at the resolutions I'm transcoding to I don't notice a difference in quality. But...it won't work if you do it remotely via RDP. IT WILL WORK IF YOU USE RAADMIN - something to do with drivers, etc. Additionally, Handbrake does not currently support Quicksync.

Okay, back to transcoding...