Question How does 6-pin to 8-pin work?

SkullCrusade

Prominent
Jan 10, 2020
I've been meaning to buy an RX 580 but I don't have enough to buy a PSU with an 8-pin, so I was thinking of purchasing an adapter instead. But here's my problem, I don't know how much watts they pull from my PSU. I'm not sure if the adapter would add more watt consumption from the PSU on top of the GPU's. I have a 600w PSU and an i7-2600. Ask more details if some are lacking. Thanks!

looks great
Looks can be deciving. The VS lineup is corsairs entry level series. If the text on the PSU label is orange, the PSU is utter garbage, if the writing is grey, the PSU is pretty poor quality and very outdated.

I wouldn't suggest using an RX580 on a VS550, although it will probably work 10000% times better than an RX580 on your current PSU.

Is the CX550 available?

DSzymborski

Titan
The CX 550 will almost be certainly the least expensive PSU that I'd run with that GPU.

What it comes down to is if you don't have the cash for the 580 and a CX 550, you don't actually have the cash for the 580. Paying for the sports car when you can't pay for the insurance is a bad idea.