[SOLVED] How does a common home user find out whether the PSU is good or bad ?

Diano

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
My PC.
Acer aspire T3-715
Windows 10 Home 64-bit, updated to 21H1
Intel Core i5 Processor 6400
NVidia GeForce GTX745 4GB
Hard Drive : SATA3 1TB & SSD 128GB
Memory : DDR4 8GB
DVD-Super Multi drive
Card Reader
Integrated LAN 10/100/1000

My problem.
Shortly after Windows update to 21H1, my PC started having issues, not complete booting, crash, BSOD and suddenly got stuck at acer logo three seconds after power on. All USB ports including keyboard and mouse & DVD drive are dead.
The only running parts now are :
  1. power can be on by taping on the power button,
  2. light in the front panel is on,
  3. CPU fan, GPU fan & PSU fan spin,
  4. monitor is lit three seconds after power on & displaying the acer logo.
  5. power can be off by taping the start button.

Tests done.
RAM, GPU, SSD have been tested and resulted in no difference.

The PSU.
Have not touched this unit. Simply because I do not know how to check it.

Help me, please?

Thank you.
Diano

Solution
Sounds like a software problem. Maybe do a repair installation on Windows.

As for checking how good a PSU is, there isn't much you can do beyond checking voltages via software or using a physical volt meter. This is not conclusive, as PSUs can only be tested under a load, and the only load most people have is a computer. True PSU testing requires specialized equipment to simulate loads and measure all aspects of power delivery.

Still, being an Acer unit, chances are good it is a merely 'adequate' power supply from some vendor. (I see Lite-On on some images) You have a relatively low power system, so shouldn't need too great a PSU.

You have a stock 24-pin ATX connector, so you can replace the PSU if you want. System itself seems to be...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

As for checking how good a PSU is, there isn't much you can do beyond checking voltages via software or using a physical volt meter. This is not conclusive, as PSUs can only be tested under a load, and the only load most people have is a computer. True PSU testing requires specialized equipment to simulate loads and measure all aspects of power delivery.

Still, being an Acer unit, chances are good it is a merely 'adequate' power supply from some vendor. (I see Lite-On on some images) You have a relatively low power system, so shouldn't need too great a PSU.

You have a stock 24-pin ATX connector, so you can replace the PSU if you want. System itself seems to be standard MicroATX as well, so you can conceivably replace most things in the system without issue.

Solution

Diano

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014

You have a stock 24-pin ATX connector, so you can replace the PSU if you want. System itself seems to be standard MicroATX as well, so you can conceivably replace most things in the system without issue.

Thank you.

"Sounds like a software problem. Maybe do a repair installation on Windows."
The first reaction I did when the stuck up happened was that I went to Microsoft. Discussion lasted for about a week & they insisted the issue was due to hardware. "Sounds like a software problem," you said. Will you please explain more for me to understand this, please?

"True PSU testing requires specialized equipment to simulate loads and measure all aspects of power delivery."
I did not know this but I had a hunch that it won't be easy.

"PSUs can only be tested under a load, and the only load most people have is a computer."
I have a simple volt meter at home. I will not do any volt test even I have a very good volt meter. It is too dangerous to perform such a test with the computer loaded. Any mistake might cause serious trouble.

Any other suggestions, please?

Thank you.