How does a cpu work

shadstarn

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
I wonder how CPU WORK but not HOW IT WORKS software wize
i want to know what happens in the hardware level...

what causes those 01010101.. in hardware level.. is it on and off power or electrcity?

i can only find the surface explenations about it.. and not exactly what causes the cpu to outputt 0101 s

i dont really remember.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
So, do you want to know how transistors work? Or possibly the logic behind the CPU (like AND and OR operations)? Or maybe how processors interpret commands to produce results?

To understand exactly what causes a CPU to work isn't something you'd typically cover in a 5-page paper.

The short story is that CPUs are made of transistors that switch electricity on and off (on = 1, off = 0). Using transistors to control signals you can perform logic operations like AND and OR. Combining enough logical operations together you can add binary numbers or other tasks.

If you keep adding logical blocks together eventually you get to the point where you can interpret instructions and so forth as described in the article that Vigilante212 linked.

However, everything posted/linked so far is really only an overview of processors cause you can always get into the parasitic capacitance of transistor design and then I'll go shoot myself before getting into that again.

ngoy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
You know, this is what happens when people smoke too much pot. They suddenly get these fanciful ideas in their head that they just HAVE to figure out, much like getting the munchies.

So you don't remember if the 0101010 are caused by on off switches or electricity? Really? You didn't know there are literally MILLIONS of miniature donkeys inside your cpu, and these little tiny sticks with little tiny carrots hooked up to them. When it needs a 1, the carrot is put in front of the donkey, and the donkey starts moving forward, causing the treadmill he is on to generate electricity and therefore a 1. When a 0 is needed we remove the carrot. That also means we have several million tiny human beings who hold the carrots on a stick. All shrunk onto the cpu. Since they are so tiny, they don't eat much. They use mostly convicts sentenced to life + X years.

The guy probably won't remember making the post either.

Jprobes

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011

First of all, never ever besmirch THC like that again! :non:

Lastly, after re-reading his post over and over and over.... (stupid THC), it appears to me that he is probably a victim of having English as a second language or a third... or fourth.

TRENDING THREADS