Question How does an Asus router AC88U decide a device is "offline".

Feb 12, 2019
On my LAN the Asus router shows many active devices as "offline" in the Network Map displayed by the Web router UI and by the ASUS Router app.

Feb 12, 2019
The DHCP lease list is correct, showing all the devices I know about. But the Network Map shows half of these as "offline". So I conclude that the router wants something else beyond an active lease to list a device as "online", but I cannot figure out what it is. My best theory is that this is simply bug, as earlier ASUS routers do not show this behavior.

So I conclude that the router wants something else beyond an active lease to list a device as "online", but I cannot figure out what it is.
Why would you make that conclusion? My guess is you are reading this ONLINE literally as "ready to go, able to access Internet, can go endpoint-to-endpoint." All the DHCP cares about is a client responded, seems to be alive" but the rest of it, it doesn't analyze the data stream and go "a-ha, is talking to Google" that's not its job nor a run-of-the mill home router has such capability, you are giving it too much credit.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019
I think I understand what the existence of a DHCP lease means. And, indeed, the lease table lists all the devices in my house that are powered up and either connected to the ethernet LAN or connected to the WiFi. And the leases are being renewed each day All that seems normal. What I do not understand is why only about half of these are shown in the Network Map as "online." The others are lists as "offline" and the IP address that is shown in the DHCP lease table is blanked out in the Network Map. This is true for both the map shown by the router's web interface and the map shown by the ASUS ROUTER app on my iPhone. Devices will remain "offline" even when they are active, e.g. , the printer is printing while remaining "offline".

Feb 12, 2019
I think it is a bug too. I posted to see if anyone else sees this behavior on their ASUS router. My previous router, a N66U, did not behave this way.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS