How does ASUS Crash Free BIOS 3 Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiewmeng

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
I wonder how does ASUS Crash Free BIOS 3 work? Does it work from something independent of the BIOS itself? Since if the BIOS is corrupt, how does anything run from it? I have an ASUS H67M which I might have accidentally flashed with the BIOS ROM for the PRO version, my mistake, I know. But now, should Crash Free BIOS run? I expect so? But I don't see anything when I start my PC, what might be the problem?

jiewmeng

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Yes I understand I should have been more careful. I think what happened was I googled "ASUS H67-M" then the 1st result was with PRO but I probably didn't notice. Too much trust in Google ... the download BIOS and flash ...

But the point of the question is to understand why might this feature not be working? Is it flawed? I know I might have flashed the wrong BIOS, but I think CrashFree should detect that BIOS is not working and kick in? My guess is CrashFree is part of the BIOS or something?

Looks like Gigabyte's DualBIOS is more reliable in this case as its a duplicate physical hardware chip?

mubin

Distinguished
To use crashfree bios 3, you need to insert asus support dvd or USB drive that contain bios file. Then utility system automatically check for bios file and start EZ flash 2 utility. After bios flash, always us load default setting.

And yes Gigabyte has backup bios to recover it successfully if main bios is corrupt.

jiewmeng

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
I tried downloading BIOS, renamed it and put it in a FAT32 thumb drive boot nothing happens, nothing on screen. I think I should see the CrashFree BIOS messages on screen telling me to do something even when I didn't connect any USB or put in any CD?

mubin

Distinguished
You should RMA it then.

Unless there is necessary, dont do bios update. It will not increase system performance as driver do. Just for better cpu support and feature update. If you are fine with hardware, then dont do bios update.

jiewmeng

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
I was thinking the slow POST sometimes might be because of BIOS, noticed it seems to have something to do with Walcom Tablet plugged in. So I tried doing an update ... thinking it might help. The ASUS website did mention something about increased USB compatibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.