[SOLVED] how does changing desktop environments affect the linux distro?

extremecookay

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
Hi all, I posted about my 2 in 1 coming and saw this thread on it working great with windows...

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/SurfaceLinux/comments/6z33bk/hp_elite_x2_1012_g1_works_very_well/

Basically I want to use it for digital art and I want it to work great out of the box so to speak so i'm going to install ubuntu, but i much prefer the look of deepin and elementary... will changing the desktop environment affect the functionality of ubuntu? I come from a mac so want a similar user experience to that, but with touch, I don't want to keep windows 10.

Solution
You've mentioned "Digital Art" as a usage scenario. Make sure you will find appls for that. While GIMP is the king of Linux graphics apps, it might not be all you want if you're used to Mac ecosystem.

Dillon101001

Reputable
Dec 22, 2019
The desktop environment is simply what runs on top of the kernel; They do not affect the functionality. They just give you a different style and look, and a different way to open apps and communicate with the computer.
Compatibility doesn't vary much among the most popular distros, and as long as your computer isn't over 10 years old it shouldn't be a problem at all.