How does Fibre Optic Internet work?

ConnorMaynard

Reputable
Aug 23, 2015
I will be installing Fibre Optic internet in my home in a couple of days. I already have Cable TV and DSL internet from another company. The other company said it wouldn't be a problem to have two ISP's in one house and that all I needed was a wall jack. The thing is, now I'm reading that Fibre optic internet connects via telephone line. How true is this?

Solution
It depends how they implement it. Some fiber they actually run a fiber cable all the way to your house and then convert it to something else inside your house. Some vendors run the fiber very close to your house and then use telephone wire or cable tv coax to run the small distance. Because the distance is less it tends to be faster that a dsl connection all the way to the telephone office.

Pretty much this is the ISP marketing guys doing their very best to confuse everyone, they claim to run fiber because most people are too lazy to read anything so they stupidly think this always means you get a actual fiber in your house.

luketexas

Honorable
Sep 14, 2015
The moment fiber goes thru DSL, the speed advantage of fiber is instantly lost.
Ideally, you would have fiber coming from the exchange straight into the house which would connect to a gateway modem then you could patch that via ethernet (and Wi-Fi) throughout the house.

It depends how they implement it. Some fiber they actually run a fiber cable all the way to your house and then convert it to something else inside your house. Some vendors run the fiber very close to your house and then use telephone wire or cable tv coax to run the small distance. Because the distance is less it tends to be faster that a dsl connection all the way to the telephone office.

Pretty much this is the ISP marketing guys doing their very best to confuse everyone, they claim to run fiber because most people are too lazy to read anything so they stupidly think this always means you get a actual fiber in your house.

Solution