How does FSB affect AGP cards???

DuncMac

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2001
OK System is...

AMD XP1600 OC'ed upto XP1800 (1.5?? Ghz)
Kingmax 256MB DDR 2100
40gig IBM 7200rpm
Epox 8KHA+
32MB SDR Radeon
Cable modem
Yamaha cdr
Antec case inc 350w antec psu
case fansx3
taisol copper bottom cooler

OK I'm new to the OC thing but I have read up on it esp in THG forums. I've Oc'ed using fsb which is now 145 and upped the voltages etc.

I'm upgrading to a 9700 non pro soon and my question is will the fsb speed I'm running adversly affect my graphics card clock freq's?????

Also I'm not seeing a great deal of extra heat ie case temp 22C cpu 41C. Haven't checked the temp of the memory yet but whats an acceptable temp for that??

Anyway tar for any info.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by duncmac on 01/20/03 12:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

svol

Champion
No, increasing your FSB doesn't increase the GPU and videomemory speed as they use an own clockgenerator.
However it does increase the AGP bus speed... but with AGP 4x (4*default, ie 4*66=266Mhz) the bandwith at default speed is already way enough so you want notice much of it.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
Exactly....it will not adversly affect you at all...it will actually improve performance to some degree...the only thing that sux about throwing the agp&pci speeds out of spec is that it does limit your fsb overclocking potential. Most new boards have the agp&pci bus speesd locked at 33/66. I wouldnt worry about this because the epox board you have is a stellar overclocker.

DuncMac

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2001
OK Thanks Guys.

One more thing. I'm happy with the front sides bus I'm getting, but want to know more about the what memmory module temperatures are acceptable. I play UT and although before OC the game (only the game) would just crash out it might be happening more frequently. Is this a memmory prob and should I look to get a heat spreader? What about the Thermaltake active memmory cooling kit? Anything else u can suggest??

Thanks in advance again

svol

Champion
I have no idea how much temp memory can handle. But you can always test if your memory is creating errors with Memtest86.
And IMO that active memory kit is a waste of memory... the HSF is to far from the memory to be of real effect. And in most cases RAMsinks hardly increase OC capabilities.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek: