[SOLVED] How does game streaming to a Laptop Work?

Aug 16, 2019
Hello All, Im going to be buying a Laptop to put into my living room and connecting it via its hdmi to my 4k tv. Now Ill be streaming my games to it from my desktop Pc which has a GeForce 2070 card in it. Ive been told that if I do this, the PC will use the components in my dewsktop PC to power the game. What I am wondering is will I be able to play the games in 4k as I know the laptop will be connected to the tv via hdmi 1.4?

Solution
how does it stream in 4k if the laptop doesnt tho? I dunno how it uses the desktop graphics card to do it in a format that the laptop isnt doing?

If your HDMI out on the laptop won't display 4k, then the output to the TV won't be 4k. It does not matter if the computer is sending a 4k signal to the laptop. Remote gaming is not the best thing anyway, no matter what the vendors say, there is always lag unless you are on a fast wired connection for both systems, and even then there can be issues.
Aug 16, 2019
Ive got nvidia shield but Id rather stream to a laptop mainly because Ill be able to use the apps that are on my main computer for example Microsoft Game Pass whereas you cannot for the shield. Im just confused as how will my laptop produce 4k on my games if my laptop only has a 1.4 hdmi output on it?

Ive got nvidia shield but Id rather stream to a laptop mainly because Ill be able to use the apps that are on my main computer for example Microsoft Game Pass whereas you cannot for the shield. Im just confused as how will my laptop produce 4k on my games if my laptop only has a 1.4 hdmi output on it?

You should be able to stream nearly any window. you can stream the entire desktop. if you buy a laptop you will likely use moonlight for streaming.

how does it stream in 4k if the laptop doesnt tho? I dunno how it uses the desktop graphics card to do it in a format that the laptop isnt doing?

If your HDMI out on the laptop won't display 4k, then the output to the TV won't be 4k. It does not matter if the computer is sending a 4k signal to the laptop. Remote gaming is not the best thing anyway, no matter what the vendors say, there is always lag unless you are on a fast wired connection for both systems, and even then there can be issues.

Solution
I know steam will allow you to stream games from one device to anotherr but i do not think any other game clients like the MS game store has an option like that. if you are looking to do 4k then a laptop will be expensive. your best bet is if you do not have one already is get an XBOX one X for 4k gaming if you insist on getting the MS game pass

I wouldn't recommend buying a laptop for this. I'd troubleshoot the shield. If you do get a laptop it needs to be able to output 4k and also have an nvidia card for NVENC. nvidia has the best remote desktop for gaming. If you don't like it on the shield you probably won't like it with something else. If you dont use NVENC expect to have like +50-120ms extra latency or higher.

On the shield you want wired connection and also H265 to get low latency. When you exit a stream it should show you 1ms. I've played overwatch on mine before and it didn't lag. My desktop has 144hz monitor so it's still not worth playing remotely. It's neat when I want to though. TVs usually have a really bad latency as well.