How does gigabit Ethernet work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watermeloans

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
This might sound like I'm a clueless idiot, but how does gigabit ethernet work? I know there are companies that offer gigabit internet, but that's like a few hundred a month or something ridiculous like that. So do I just plug in my router to something that speeds up the Ethernet? And I know you guys think I'm retarded, but what's like RAID, and does the msi z170-a pro atx motherboard support gigabit Ethernet?

Solution
The best quick read on Ethernet that will give you some background is at WIKI.

Currently, gigabit (1000Mbps) Ethernet is the most common found on new devices and is as you would guess 10X faster than the old Fast Ethernet (100Mbps). As long as your router and device Ethernet adapter support gigabit you will be able to transfer files between such connected devices at around 120MB/s roughly (there is some overhead) assuming that your storage devices can accommodate those speeds.

RAID is an array of disks that allow for redundancy and/or faster speed depending on the type used. Again, the best quick read to get an appreciation for RAID is at WIKI. The most commonly used redundant levels are 1 and 5 -- 1 just...

RealBeast

Titan
The best quick read on Ethernet that will give you some background is at WIKI.

Currently, gigabit (1000Mbps) Ethernet is the most common found on new devices and is as you would guess 10X faster than the old Fast Ethernet (100Mbps). As long as your router and device Ethernet adapter support gigabit you will be able to transfer files between such connected devices at around 120MB/s roughly (there is some overhead) assuming that your storage devices can accommodate those speeds.

RAID is an array of disks that allow for redundancy and/or faster speed depending on the type used. Again, the best quick read to get an appreciation for RAID is at WIKI. The most commonly used redundant levels are 1 and 5 -- 1 just has a second disk with identical information written as on the first, while 5 allow use of many more disks and writes only some information on each disk with the ability to sustain the loss of a disk without losing your data.

I do not recommend using a motherboard controller for RAID though, as any bios hiccup can break the array.

Solution

Apple ID

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016
Gigabit Ethernet allows network transfers up to 1.000 Mbps using standard Cat 5 UTP (unshielded twisted pair) cabling. How can this be accomplished, since Cat 5 cables can run only up to 100 Mbps? We will explain this and also other very interesting issues regarding Gigabit Ethernet performance.
Read more at: http://protechlists.com/best-ethernet-switches/

Cat 5e is is rated for 1Gbps at distances up to 100m not 100Mbps

Status
Not open for further replies.