Question How does Gmail track my sign-in status ?

Usjes

Honorable
Jan 13, 2015
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how gmail keeps track of my signed in status. eg. if another site offers the option 'Sign in with Google' I enter my gmail credentials to get access to another site, if I then open Gmail in another tab it goes straight to my inbox (no credentials required) so it is clearly keeping track of the fact that I already logged in (albeit on another site). So, I'm trying to figure out how Google keeps track of my signed-in status ? I would have assumed it was via a cookie. So I go to Firefox -> preferences -> Privacy & Security -> Clear Data.
After this Firefox lists:
Cookies and Site Data (0 bytes)
Cached website content (0 bytes)
Yet if I open gmail in a new tab I'm still getting straight through to my inbox, no credentials required. So, how is Google doing this ? It's highly undesirable and very creepy. Or does this suggest a bug in Firefox (that its not actually clearing data as it should) ? I'm using version 87.0 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Thanks,

Usjes

Reactions: rgd1101

Usjes

Honorable
Jan 13, 2015
on the back, it still google.

are you saving login/password? using any of the password extension?
using the firefox account thing?

mine always ask to login.
No, I have no extensions and I am not using any firefox account, so I don't understand where this information is being stored. I see only two possibilities:
(i) Google has found some loophole to create a 'cookie' that Firefox can't see
(ii) Firefox has a dangerous bug whereby it fails to delete cookies when you ask it to.

Usjes

Honorable
Jan 13, 2015
use the manual bar. try the clear recent history.
latest firefox?

I'm on windows. so maybe linux issue?
Yes I also tried 'Clear recent History' instead of just 'Clear Data' but the result is the same, I remain signed in. I have to actually close the browser down and restart it before I get signed out.
It looks like version 88 has been released recently for Linux so I'll try that.