How does iTunes work? Want a library that I can simply sync with iPod

Patrick Pennarts

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013
Hi forum,

I don't understand how iTunes works.. I thought when I added files to iTunes it would be stored as a library, but instead I guess iTunes sees it as a playlist.

What I simply want is that iTunes would see my E:/ drive as music library, that it automatically adds the music that i put there, that I can simply plug in my iPod Classic and push Synchronize and it's done.

Is this possible in iTunes or is there other software you'd recommend that can take care of this?

If you are choosing to live within the Apple ecosystem, you are going to be stuck with all of Apple's restrictions, which is unfortunate in terms of ease-of-use.

You can sync playlists to an iPod, and if you're not paying attention, you can lose everything on the iPod in the process, or if you open the settings for your particular iPod when plugged in, you should find the option to "Sync only checked songs and videos" and "Manually manage music and videos," which hopefully should make the software act a little more intuitively.

You still need to have your music in the iTunes program to manage it through iTunes.

on mac? on windows?

on windows its under file i believe and "add folder to library". you can then select the drive base folder the music is in and it will add the music.

make sure in itunes settings you have "keep my itunes library organized" checked

for all future music additions you must do one of two things:

1) if you like to manually copy and past files into the file location you need to go back into itunes and repeat the above steps except for just the folders (one at a time) that you want to add.

2)instead of doing the above you can drag and drop files into itunes. provided the meta tags are all correct you shouldnt have an issue.

once everything is in your itunes "library" you can easily sync to an ipod. i add music i purchased on amazonmp3 and other sources to itunes without much trouble at all using those above steps.