[SOLVED] How does MFAA work?

david_the_guy

BANNED
May 11, 2019
I'm a little confused and people have different opinions. I've enabled it in options.

So if I go into GTA V and select 2xMSAA.. is it actually doing 2xMFAA or 4xMFAA?

Different sites say different things..what's different in mfaa and msaa ?

Solution
There is a difference. Actually 4xMFAA has the performance cost of 2xMSAA, but with anti-aliasing equivalent to that of 4xMSAA. MFAA/Multi-Frame Samples Anti Aliasing offers MSAA quality, at a way lesser impact on overall performance.

MFAA is close to MSAA quality wise, and effects it, when this mode is enabled. It doesn't blur the image that much. The end result which you can get is that MFAA, can deliver Image quality same as that of 4x MSAA at roughly the performance cost of 2x MSAA, or 8x MSAA quality at roughly the cost of 4x MSAA.

MFAA/Multi-Frame Samples Anti Aliasing offers MSAA quality, at a way lesser impact on overall performance. You can enable and force...
There is a difference. Actually 4xMFAA has the performance cost of 2xMSAA, but with anti-aliasing equivalent to that of 4xMSAA. MFAA/Multi-Frame Samples Anti Aliasing offers MSAA quality, at a way lesser impact on overall performance.

MFAA is close to MSAA quality wise, and effects it, when this mode is enabled. It doesn't blur the image that much. The end result which you can get is that MFAA, can deliver Image quality same as that of 4x MSAA at roughly the performance cost of 2x MSAA, or 8x MSAA quality at roughly the cost of 4x MSAA.

MFAA/Multi-Frame Samples Anti Aliasing offers MSAA quality, at a way lesser impact on overall performance. You can enable and force MFAA via the NVCP. Like e.g., 4xMFAA has the performance cost of 2xMSAA, but with anti-aliasing/AA equivalent to that of 4xMSAA. So 4xMFAA would, ideally, take a 2x MSAA performance hit but offer 4xMSAA quality, if not a little higher.

The end result which you can get is that MFAA, can deliver Image quality same as that of 4x MSAA at roughly the performance cost of 2x MSAA, or 8x MSAA quality at roughly the cost of 4x MSAA.
IMO, MFAA is close to MSAA quality wise. It doesn't blur the image much, unlike other AA modes (btw, it's 4xMFAA, not 2xMFAA).

Like e.g, for the game GTA 5, If you've opted for Multi-Sample Anti-Aliasing (MSAA) option in the Video Game settings (e.g. 2x, 4x etc.), then you can enable/force the 'Multi-Frame Sampled Anti-Aliasing' (MFAA) option via the NVIDIA Control Panel (global settings), for better performance.

Reactions: david_the_guy
Solution

david_the_guy

BANNED
May 11, 2019
Thanks for the detailed explanation, MM. That was really helpful. I have noted all the points as told by you, and I'm going to check the settings while playing gta5.

Once again I appreciate your input. Thank you. :)

david_the_guy

BANNED
May 11, 2019
Okay...I'm using 4xMSAA but I'm experiencing performance lag in some areas. :confused2: It works though, and there is difference in image quality as well. I'm going to experiment more, and I think I might have maxed out some other graphics settings as well. The Grass quality more like.