How does one set the refresh rate for 3D games?

KaRRiLLioN

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2001
I have downloaded powerstrip and installed it but I'm trying to figure out how to set the refresh rate for 3D games. In Operation Flashpoint, for example, that game allows you to set the refresh rate from within the game. I have a Sony G520 and I can set my refresh rate up to 100hz in the game. I then adjusted my monitor to get rid of the black space at the edges of the screen. Then when I open up Return to Castle Wolfenstein the screen space taken up by it is completely skewed, even though I set the resolution to the same size 1280x1024x32bpp. I'm assuming this is because the refresh rate is different. I'm also assuming that the refresh rate I set for the desktop has nothing to do with the refresh rate in the games...correct?

Anyway I went into PowerStrip and set up an Application profile for RTCW and I set the refresh rate and resolution to the same settings in Operation Flashpoint. Upon clicking this shortcut, however, the game loaded up and the picture was still skewed, so I guess that shortcut doesn't set the refresh rate for the 3D stuff. The reason I'm assuming this is true is because when I adjust the screen size to take up the black space and such, I typically have to do it for the 2D desktop and then again for the 3D desktop whenever I change resolutions.

Does anyone know how to set the refresh rate for 3D games with PS?

Thanks!!

-------------------------
Windows XP Professional
Athlon XP 1800+ on Epox 8KHA+
768 megs Crucial DDR RAM
Leadtek Geforce3 Ti500 DV/I
Sony G520 21" Monitor
SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum
IBM 75GXP 75-Gig HD's (x2)
Plextor Plexwriter 24/10 CDR/W
Toshiba 16x DVD

Palpatine

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
There is a problem with detonator XP and WinXP. The refresh rate in all games is set to 60. You need to download the Nvidia refresh rate fix (you can find it at www.guru3d.com) and then set the refresh rates for games in each resulotion.

You can see the refresh rate of the monitor by pressing the button on the monitor once (it is displayed below the menu and it is the second number). I have a G400 but i think that the menu configuraion is the same in all the G models.

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Ditto what he said. Get the nVidia Refresh rate fix.

You CAN however adjust the refresh rate in quake 3 based games like RTCW by using the console command /r_displayrefresh

It defaults to 0 which means fall back to 60hz. You can set it to whatever you want but keep in mind there is NO sanity check on this...dont fry your monitor.

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You can also set the DirectDraw refresh rate by running DXDIAG, and choosing a higher value under the More Help/Override section.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

TRENDING THREADS