[SOLVED] How does the hardware encryption in Samsung SSD 980 Pro work?

Mar 16, 2021
I know that Samsung SSD 980 Pro has support for hardware AES-256 bit. How to enable it? There is an option in Samsung Magician where you can enable encryption, erase the disk and install fresh Windows on encrypted drive (with Windows' BitLocker). So, is this a full AES-256 hardware encryption? How does the BitLocker works here if it's a software solution?

Second question is: what if I want to access my drive from other OS? Is this possible if I have the BitLocker key?

The second question is: Do I really need to encrypt this? The main reason I want to do this is that I will probably resell my 980 at some time, and I don't want anyone to restore my confidential data. I read here https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...re-encryption-or-are-self-encrypting.3688568/ that 980 Pro may have the Self-Encrypting Drive (SED) technology., so the Secure Erase option will make my data inaccessible for anyone. Is that correct?

Solution
If you're worried about eventually selling and your data, encryption is not the solution for that.

Secure Erase, just before you sell it.