Question How does the HP 510-p057a PC/C i7-6700T/8GB/2TB/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750Ti have only a 180W psu?

666abhi666

Commendable
Jun 25, 2019
If the Geforce GTX 750ti needs a 300W PSU (I looked it up on the website), how does HP make the 510-p057a with only a 180W psu? This is a Australia/NewZealand region release and comes with the GTX750ti assembled. I'm trying to buy this tower (used) and am now wondering if I will have to get the psu changed.

Lutfij

Titan
I think that's possible with the fact that they have a barebone motherboard(that can't be overclocked, a processor which is rated at 35W only and they're calculating that the GPU draws less than 75W. The system you're looking at isn't meant for gaming(which is where the GPU draws most of the power from the PSU). The Pavilion is geared as a home, light gaming and productivity system, not an overclockable gaming system.

If I were you, I'd pick up the system and look for a replacement PSU for that build in case the one bundled dies out.

Reactions: 666abhi666

666abhi666

Commendable
Jun 25, 2019
Thank you. That explains a lot. I'm not a high-end gamer, so this should be fine. I'm looking to run Farcry 4/Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor/Darksiders 3 at medium settings. Would you classify this as "Light Gaming"? If not, I guess I'd have to go for a bigger PSU.

Office computers often have a CPU power limit, usually 95W for 4 core, or even 65W if they only support 2 core CPUs. Smaller ones have almost no expansions alots or drive bays to power. Sometimes they use a server spec. 25W or other limit on the PCIe 16x GPU slot. This will be stenciled next to the slot if used.
If you look up the TDP of the GTX750 that's the number you need to worry about. 65W.

666abhi666

Commendable
Jun 25, 2019
Office computers often have a CPU power limit, usually 95W for 4 core, or even 65W if they only support 2 core CPUs. Smaller ones have almost no expansions alots or drive bays to power. Sometimes they use a server spec. 25W or other limit on the PCIe 16x GPU slot. This will be stenciled next to the slot if used.
If you look up the TDP of the GTX750 that's the number you need to worry about. 65W.

When you say there could be a limit on the GPU slot, does it mean the card would not be able to draw the power needed for gaming even if I were to get a larger PSU?

666abhi666

Commendable
Jun 25, 2019
Many people report success ignoring this. But the risk is on you to try it. This is almost always in systems that only accept low profile GPUs anyway. GT730,or GT1030 usually work. The GTX750 at 65W is risky. It's not a hard limit. The CPU Wattage usually is a hard limit.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/HP-510-p057a/38730
It looks like you won't have aproblem with that one.

I read on an another thread that the 25W limitation is for other expansion cards which use the PCIe 16x slot. Apparently, a graphic card installed in this slot can still pull the industry standard 75W. So I assume I'm good for a larger PSU? Thanks.

There actually is a 25W PCIe 16x spec. in the PCIe literature for servers that just need text mode GPUs. It's hard to tell what the truth is here. They may do that just so the 180W PSU isn't running out of spec. HP and Dell both intend for their office computers to be run as is due to warranty, service contract, and tech support concerns. Upgrading not only isn't a consideration, it's actively discouraged.

666abhi666

Commendable
Jun 25, 2019
There actually is a 25W PCIe 16x spec. in the PCIe literature for servers that just need text mode GPUs. It's hard to tell what the truth is here. They may do that just so the 180W PSU isn't running out of spec. HP and Dell both intend for their office computers to be run as is due to warranty, service contract, and tech support concerns. Upgrading not only isn't a consideration, it's actively discouraged.

This is the motherboard in the tower;
https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c05066299

It just says "One PCI-E (GEN 3) x16 socket" in expansion slots. If this is indeed a 25W max spec, do you think they would have published it? Does the fact that they haven't indicate this could be the regular 75W slot?

666abhi666

Commendable
Jun 25, 2019

Also, I contacted HP tech support and provided the serial no. of the product. The HP representative said the max draw was listed as 75W. I specifically asked if the PCIe 16x slot draw limit was 75W and she said yes. I assume if HP had indeed installed a 25W spec, it would have been listed there for them to see as it is not the market standard right? The buyer would have asked for it specifically.

666abhi666

Commendable
Jun 25, 2019
On the dells that have that it's always stenciled next to the slot, and people report it doesn't matter anyway.

Thank you for all your inputs. I finally got the CPU yesterday and there's nothing stenciled around the slot. Which should have been good news, but looks like the cabinet won't fit a larger PSU. It's too small.