How does the search bar work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapha1

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
I don't use cortana, and I was expecting the search bar in start to function like Windows 7. I don't understand the point of the search bar, all it seems to be able to do is show apps and search the web. Even the list "all apps" in start seems to be a random selection of programs that are actually installed.

Steam has a shortcut on the desktop and takes up most of my HDD, but when i type "steam" into the search bar it couln't find anything. :heink:

Why can't it search files/folders/programs?
Is there some setting that ive missed?

I know it's easy to use windows explorer, but it's frustrating having a nicely layed out search bar on the desktop that can't search properly. Thanks guys!

Solution
I think it is because Microsoft primarily wanted that search bar to work with Bing. So if you type something in there that is a Windows task, or part of Windows 10, it will find it. A big part of the reason is to increase the usage of Bing across the Windows platform, and is partially what helped motivate Microsoft to allow users to upgrade for free.

Unfortunately I am not on Windows 10 at the moment or I would check the search settings for a way to change this, as there might be a way.
I think it is because Microsoft primarily wanted that search bar to work with Bing. So if you type something in there that is a Windows task, or part of Windows 10, it will find it. A big part of the reason is to increase the usage of Bing across the Windows platform, and is partially what helped motivate Microsoft to allow users to upgrade for free.

Unfortunately I am not on Windows 10 at the moment or I would check the search settings for a way to change this, as there might be a way.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.