Build Advice How does this 4090 build look?

Drevos

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
Hi,

I'm building a new PC from scratch and wanted to ensure my component selection is as good as it can be. I'll mostly be using it for photoshop and gaming. I know a 13900k might be overkill in this sense, but I'm inclined to go for it nonetheless. And while I'm not initially looking to OC, it would be great to have that option for the future.

Also, I'm based in Mexico, so my access to parts and their respective prices is limied by that.

Here's my current list:

https://mx.pcpartpicker.com/list/9rjWRv

Hopefully all these components are at least compatible with each other and would work well together. I wonder if there's anything I'm missing, and whether there's specific caveats to consider about how these parts will interact (e.g., do I need to worry about m.2 heatsinks?; should I go with a different kind of RAM?; would I benefit from a 1200+W PSU?) I'm also curious about how well this build will allow for future upgrades (mainly GPU and CPU). I know there's room for improvement, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

Hi,

I'm building a new PC from scratch and wanted to ensure my component selection is as good as it can be. I'll mostly be using it for photoshop and gaming. I know a 13900k might be overkill in this sense, but I'm inclined to go for it nonetheless. And while I'm not initially looking to OC, it would be great to have that option for the future.

Also, I'm based in Mexico, so my access to parts and their respective prices is limied by that.

Here's my current list:

https://mx.pcpartpicker.com/list/9rjWRv

Hopefully all these components are at least compatible with each other and would work well together. I wonder if there's anything I'm missing, and whether there's specific caveats to consider about how these parts will interact (e.g., do I need to worry about m.2 heatsinks?; should I go with a different kind of RAM?; would I benefit from a 1200+W PSU?) I'm also curious about how well this build will allow for future upgrades (mainly GPU and CPU). I know there's room for improvement, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

Hey there,

Yes, that's a pretty solid build.

I'd prob change up the ram to something along the lines of 6000, with as low CL as possible.

Given the transient power spikes of RTX 3x/4x series I'd suggest going a bit stronger on the PSU, with 12/1300 watts. The P6 is no slouch, but having a bit more headroom makes sense.

edit: In terms of upgrades, you are limited by the platform. Intel typically gives 2 gen CPU's to each socket, before then needing a new mobo. But,I've heard they will release an updated Raptor Lake S to the same mobo, so it's possible for another jump in performance.

Last edited:

Drevos

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
Hey there,

Yes, that's a pretty solid build.

I'd prob change up the ram to something along the lines of 6000, with as low CL as possible.

Given the transient power spikes of RTX 3x/4x series I'd suggest going a bit stronger on the PSU, with 12/1300 watts. The P6 is no slouch, but having a bit more headroom makes sense.

edit: In terms of upgrades, you are limited by the platform. Intel typically gives 2 gen CPU's to each socket, before then needing a new mobo. But,I've heard they will release an updated Raptor Lake S to the same mobo, so it's possible for another jump in performance.
Thanks! I will consider the RAM, but this build is already somewhat overbudget for me, so that might have to be a future upgrade.

Re the PSU – That makes sense. So you think a 1300W 80+ Gold is better than a 1000 80+ Platinum in this case?

Edit: I found this one (EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P+ 1600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply) even cheaper than the P6 above. Wondering if it's too good to be true... is P+ any good?

Last edited:

Drevos

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
Is AMD an option for you? The AM5 socket will last a lot longer in terms of longevity. So you can upgrade CPU for a 3-4 gens for further performance boosts. That is if AM4 is anything to go by!
Might be. But, though I realize I asked the question, realistically I won't be upgrading this system within the next five years, so perhaps even the AM5 socket would be outdated by then...

TRENDING THREADS