[SOLVED] How does those wrist band for measuring blood pressure and heart beat works?

brannsiu

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
what is their principle of working?

How can those wrist bands measure our blood pressure and heart beat? How accurate they could be?

What is the difference between a more expensive and a less expensive one? Can I cheap out on this?

Would a cheap wrist band cause any health concern?

Principle of working the same as the normal manual measuring process.

They are quite accurate for daily home use but not accurate enough to be used professionally

The cheaper ones are usually less accurate.

Really cheap things from unknown brands do always made from cheap materials and can cause health concern. (potentially dangerous chemical substances). If you buy the device from known brand and not counterfeit one, you can sit and relax.
I would get such devices only from trustable stores.

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018
Accuracy is something you can only tell based on product specific tests, it depends. Frequency measurement can be inaccurate by cheap products. Using the same device you can examine any trend or deviance, so it can be useful.
There are built in sensors measuring blood flow speed based on Doppler effect (same principal works in Lidars). They emit ultrasound and/or infra red light, and can not harm your health. Look for CE marking, and other proofs of conformity! Choose a device quality controlled in a first world country.
More expensive medical devices have to withstand sterilisation processes (high temperature steam or chemicals) and therefore cost more. Support, warranty, software compatibility and encryption, electromagnetic shielding so other devices do not jam the signal all has higher standards in professional use as well. Low quality plastic enclosures or band may emit chemicals that irritate your skin.
As recommendation I would mention the Garmin vivosmart and vivofit series, and the Fitbit Alta.
I hope you found my comment useful. Feel free to ask further questions!

brannsiu

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013

Please advise a trustable stores or brands on Amazon?

ASK THE COMMUNITY