[SOLVED] How does throttling bandwidth works?

poorbugger

Distinguished
So my university has it's own wifi network that requires you to log in with your student id. It has a max speed of 1.2mb/s and has a quota of 15gb or so i've been told. However, I think i have used my quota because my speed has been throttled to 0.1mb/s on my computer. I thought that they throttle based on student id but that's not the case because I log in to the same network using my phone and i get a max speed of 1.2mb/s again. Using vpn on my pc doesn't bypass the throttle. So how does it work and how do i bypass it if it's possible?

Solution
They aren't very bright if you can just use a different device to get more quota. Almost makes the use of the student id worthless. They are likely using 2 different systems even though there are systems available that can limit by the userid. They likely have the id to limit access and a firewall or something that is doing the quota.

It likely is as simple as they set the quota via mac address.
They aren't very bright if you can just use a different device to get more quota. Almost makes the use of the student id worthless. They are likely using 2 different systems even though there are systems available that can limit by the userid. They likely have the id to limit access and a firewall or something that is doing the quota.

Reactions: Rdslw
Solution

poorbugger

Distinguished

yup, looks like mac address limit and student ID is just login/security.
this means you can easly bypass it from laptop...
So it seems that after restarting the laptop, the limit was lifted again. Thanks for the mac address changer, ill keep that in mind. Thanks guys