Question How does VPN work?

Nov 6, 2019
I understand what VPN is but want to know how it's loaded on my laptop. Is it browser specific? or computer specific? I am a novice

USAFRet

Titan
Neither browser or PC specific.

You log on to the VPN providers network.
They give you a specific IP address and settings, you log in with that.
From there, your traffic goes elsewhere. You are seen to be "on" that servers network and location.

Most uses are for work. From my house, I can log on to our network at work, and it is just as if I was in the building on their actual network.

Nov 6, 2019
Sorry but I am a real novice. When I sign up they give me an ip addres and settings. What specifically do I do then? Do I have to login to their network each time I want to use VPN?

USAFRet

Titan
Sorry but I am a real novice. When I sign up they give me an ip addres and settings. What specifically do I do then? Do I have to login to their network each time I want to use VPN?
Mostly, yes.
You establish a connection through their server(s).
Virtual Private Network. Bind part of a network without being there physically.

Of course, you need your own ISP connection first.

What is your desire for a VPN?

Some VPN providers have browser plugins where only the browser goes thru the VPN connection. Check with your provider, it might be easier for you to work around that.
In generic case, you add a new network connection (either thru "Network and Sharing" app, or thru specific app), then enter your credentials, and here you go - all your Internet connections (browsers, apps, games etc) run thru that VPN tunnel.

Nov 6, 2019
Some VPN providers have browser plugins where only the browser goes thru the VPN connection. Check with your provider, it might be easier for you to work around that.
In generic case, you add a new network connection (either thru "Network and Sharing" app, or thru specific app), then enter your credentials, and here you go - all your Internet connections (browsers, apps, games etc) run thru that VPN tunnel.

So if I download an app. what happens when I first open my computer? Do I open the app next and will I be able to use any of my browsers via that app?

USAFRet

Titan
Looking for more privacy.
Privacy, from who or what?
HTTPS and your router + NAT provides a LOT of privacy.

Your data is encrypted between your PC and whatever server you're connected to. People can't read that.

A VPN can provide location fuzzing....make you appear to be from Country A, when you are actually physically located in Country B using ISP C.

So if I download an app. what happens when I first open my computer? Do I open the app next and will I be able to use any of my browsers via that app?
It dwepends on the app in question... If your provider supports PPTP (Windows) protocol, you will need to "connect" to that network after you login. If your providers uses OpenVPN, it's similar way - you open the app, click "connect", wait for credentials exchange, done.

Use sites where you can query your IP address (even Google can answer "my IP address") and compare it before and after.