How does Windows 7 RAM limits work exactly?

Zeeelo

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016
Hi there,

Basically I'd like to upgrade my RAM from 8GB to 16GB mainly for gaming purposes but I have Windows 7 Home Basic which says it has an X64 limit of 8GB.

So if I wanted 16GB or more RAM and was determined to stick with Windows 7 would I need to purchase Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional for the system to utilize the additional RAM for gaming?

I'm not sure if the above mentioned OS's are still available on the market or not but it's more about understanding how these RAM limits work and I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out with this.

Solution
Yes, the maximum amount of RAM that Windows 7 Home Basic supports is 8GB. If you want to install more than that, then you'll need to upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium (16GB limit) or Windows 10 Home (128GB limit).

Finding a legitimate copy of Windows 7 Home Premium is going to be very difficult as nowhere is selling it anymore. Your best bet is to upgrade to Windows 10, especially when gaming is concerned.
Yes, the maximum amount of RAM that Windows 7 Home Basic supports is 8GB. If you want to install more than that, then you'll need to upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium (16GB limit) or Windows 10 Home (128GB limit).

Finding a legitimate copy of Windows 7 Home Premium is going to be very difficult as nowhere is selling it anymore. Your best bet is to upgrade to Windows 10, especially when gaming is concerned.

Solution

Zeeelo

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016

Thanks very much.